1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help.. Is a 4 cyl a good idea?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cartage1, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I haven't towed with my 5 lugger yet, but I have hauled well over 1000 lbs on multiple occasions without an issue. I just hauled a few hundred pounds of outdoor furniture to S.C. and got 30 MPG's on the trip. LOVE my 4 banger!

2. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    covefrog08

covefrog08 swollen member

Member:
    Vancouver Island- Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 w/west coast pin-striping
    devil horns, weather tech floor mats, Camo seat cover, window visors, premier deck w/ 6 speakers and sub, checker plate tool box, diff breather relocate, Mag light & Fire Extinguisher behind seat
    Ilove my 4cyl and having a regular cab makes turning in tight trails so easy! I'm also a huge fan on and standard transmition with any engine but it's needed with the 4 cyl as mentioned above I hold gears longer then an auto would all the time. I am looking at regearing though because for me these new trucks are geared to high for the power. I am driving a base model o8 reg cab with no engine upgrades though so I'll get a few mods done and see.

Regardless of anything above though I LOVE MY TRUCK!

3. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    You said price and cost to operate.....

If it's truely a dollars and cents decision and you plan to run the truck into the ground, buy the low mileage four banger. I love my v6, but there's no doubt in my mind that the four cylinder engine in my company tacoma is lower maintenance and will probably last longer. But I try to live a little as well as be practical, so I bought the v6. I bought it used, so I'm not married to it, I don't have to keep it till it dies, someone will be willing to buy it from me for a reasonable price if I can no longer afford the gas.:eek:

4. Apr 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    pyramid

pyramid Member

Member:
    i certainly would'nt pay any extra or hold out for a 6, in fact i just did the exact oppisite when looking locally i could find all the 6 cyl soccermom loaded out trucks you could ask for but what i really wanted was a meat and potatoes truck with 3 options i refused to comprimise on. 4cyl, reg cab and 4x4 , i finally had to drive nearly 3 hrs to get it .its my 2nd tacoma the first was a 2wd prerunner ex cab automatic with 2.7 i pulled my allison craft all over the southeast loaded down with no problem ,this one dose great too but i do think the 1st one was geared a little lower , or maybe the manual gives me that illusion ,i had a 6cyl 4runner years ago and it seemed as if it always had some small issue ,fuel or elec,once the clutch pedal assbly went right through the fire wall ,it just lead me to shun the 6

5. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    cartage1

cartage1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    My 6 had zero maint issues to 60k... Are there higher demand maint issues with the 6 that the 4 doesn't experience? I run a commercial fleet (class A tractors), so I can tell you all about Detroit-v-Cummins-Volvo, etc..., but is the 4 cyl toyo more dependable?

Thanks again for the replies..., and hopefully... I can soon change my profile from "former," to ......(new to me Tacoma..).

Take Care.

6. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    mgs

mgs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab 4 X 4 Auto.
    Fiberglass cap
    The 4 cylinder not only gets better gas milage, but the maintenance is much less frequent and way less costly. I just purchsed a new 4 cylinder and after reading the owners manual, I was happy to learn that I made the correct choice. According to the manual, the 4 cylinder requires new spark plugs every 120,000 miles whereas the 6 cylinder requires new plugs every 30,000 miles! Also, another big thing is the 4 cylinder has automatic valve guide adjustment while the 6 cylinder requires ajustment every 60.000 miles. The is a very costly procedure usually costing several hundred dollars.

mgs

7. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    If you don't mind driving the slowest vehicle on the Planet buy the 4 cyl. but not for 25. 20 grand TOPS. I'd buy a used V6 if I were you.

Steve

8. Apr 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I don't know where you get your ideas from but I have no problem passing everything on the interstate and frequently look down to see I'm doing 90 mph with no strain at all smooth as silk. The only reason I'm not going 85 to 90 all the time is I need my license.:D

9. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:01 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Slowest 4 wheeled vehicle 0-60. Sorry. Unless you know of another one.

Steve

10. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    OK, U can write Winning on your post. I have no interest in researching the slowest 4 wheeled vehicle 0-60 or in drag racing a work truck. If I wanted to get off the line the quickest I'd buy a completely different type of vehicle.

11. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    Test drive the I4. See if the power works for you. The gas mileage is the biggest plus (payload is also the highest in the access cab I4 4x4), the loss of HP and towing capacity (if the V6 has the towing package) are the draw backs.

25k is too much. It is used, even if for only 1800 miles. You can buy new I4 access cab 4x4s all day long for 25k. 23k or so seems reasonable to me.

12. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    cartage1

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    Hey kids... Done deal!

V6 TRD, AC, AT, OR... deal was good, so it trumped the driveline question. Had the 06 TRD OR, so happy I could swing another one...

Back in the saddle and now two Toyo's strong (wife's FJ & TRD Tacoma).

Thanks to all for the help, and a couple of month's down the road, I will have to revisit the CAI debate and in dreamland..., the supercharger :)

Thanks again! -Matt

13. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast

x2, im with colts and this summer when i finally buy a truck mine will probably have 50k+ on it ac or dc but v6 for sure

14. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    guess im a little late to the party lol :rolleyes:

15. Apr 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    cartage1

Member:
    Cleveland, Oh
    Vehicle:
    TRD, Sport
    Fresno-tucky???..., spent a few years running a DC in Fresno... Didn't have a Taco then, bet Kings Canyon and the National Parks have to be fun with these trucks... Hot in the summer, but enjoyed my time in Fresno...

While a Hoosier by upbringing and a Buckeye by birth...., Go Bulldogs!

Fresno State is a cool place..

Products Discussed in

To Top