1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me Choose a new Compound Bow

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by BassMaster06, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Dec 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Yeah thats my plan, I had a whisker biscuit on my old bow and I loved it

2. Dec 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    My father-in-law got me into archery a few years ago and sent me one of his old Mathews Q2XL as a starter. Since then he sent me another cast off (Mathews Switchback) and just gave me today a Mathews Monster MR7. I can say as a relative novice that these bows are able to do so much more than I could ever make them and there is a HUGE difference between the bows made 5 years ago and the ones on the market today. The Monster, set at the same poundage as the others, feels like drawing 20-30% less, holds at full draw very easy, and is ridiculously smooth on the draw and delivery. I would never be able to afford to buy one but if you have the $$ the Monster is a sick beast. Very quiet too so a 40-50 yd shot on a whitetail is very possible if you have the skill.
    I shot about 40-50 arrows today and am grouping at about 1" - 1 1/2" at 20yds. Once I get used to the slightly new anchor point (this one is set up for my actual draw length, not 3/4" over like the others) I'm sure it'll get tighter.
    Someone earlier said, try some out. That is great advice. I would add that you should try out those in your price range. Some of the more expensive bows are quite addictive...

MathewsMonster_zps857f1a75_daa8b87fa24d34812c19275e7e65e9b26dde244b.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. Dec 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    WOW!

not so sure i could shoot a monster that is almost 1" too long for me. i bet it would creep like a mofo!

nice bow! i am also getting used to a two cam bow. the shorter string is nice..the peep doesnt move at all. none.

i recently, revisited how my anchor felt. i moved the peep sight up about 1/4", maybe 3/8th and wham!! everything just felt more comfy. i could hold my head up straighter, my string just barely kisses the tip of my nose. my arrows started slamming together into the same tiny point at 20 yards. i stopped shooting, so i wouldnt break my arrows. makes sure your anchor is good. d loop puts the string at your jaw, peep at your eye..everything else follows.

4. Dec 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    gotta ask..what bow did your FIL get to kick the monster to the curb?

5. Dec 29, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    He took a different approach this time. He picked this one up for me this summer (he already had one and a new Monster Chill). The guy has been shooting competitive archery since well before I was born and has several high-end bows. He actually took some measurements from the other bows and set this one up perfectly for me. Correct draw length, peep height, etc.

As to shooting one with a longer draw, that is actually the Q2XL and the Switchback. They don't have quite the snap of the Monster but it was absolutely a bummer if you held too long. My shoulder hated me several times due to the creep that hit the wall and I had to try and control the let-down. Not fun.

6. Dec 29, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    BostonBilly

BostonBilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
    I am a big fan of Mathews

7. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    LOL..yup. my mathews Z7 was a smidge long feeling. tore me up. wanted to take off on me all the time. surprised i never shot an arrow into the woods by accident.

you married into the right family!! my FIL does very little. :(

8. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    nvrenuf

nvrenuf Whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saint Johns, FL
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro Taco; 6MT
    [​IMG]
    Not an avid hunter, but I like this one...

9. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    mathews8pt

mathews8pt Active Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport
    Probably because almost all of mathews bows run long on DL. Im not a basher either, had a lot of them over the last 10 years.

Ive owned a lot of bows and shot a few others. For me the elites are very nice as well as some of the bowtechs. Not a fan of the short valley that hoyts were so famous for in previous years. I also can never get real comfortable with mathews grips, and ive tried a bunch of aftermarket ones on the bows. I think in the last fews years ive had all these bows. Monster 7, monster 6, drenalin, switchback, Z7, reezen 6.5, creed, Pse supra ME, axe 7, evo 6, Elite answer, gt500, pure, Athens exceed and a bowtech Experience... that has to be close to all the compounds at least. lol My buddy trades more then me and i shoot a lot of his bows to.

I currently have the bowtech experience and really couldnt be happier with it. Smooth, quick, quiet, good grip, good backwall. Its has the overdraw binary cams so it super tunable. My wife also loves her bowtech heartbreaker(same as the assassin short draw). Its a really nice bow, but just doesnt have the stability of the experience since its so short. Its also a little noisier due to limb design and the standard binary cams.

Sorry to ramble on but i love archery! Any of the newer bows are great and will get the job done on deer. Learn to tune your own bow and work on the little things and it will be a lot more fun IMO.:D

10. Jan 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    Yup. Ha d a mathews SBXT and it was perfect. Cam timed down the middle. A got the Z7 in same DL and it felt long. Tried to grt the shop to swap cams with me but they gave me grief. I took the timing hole out of centered and shortened the DL a bit. Better.

My new Elite energy 35 fits awesome. Same DL. I too love archery.

11. Jan 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    mathews8pt

mathews8pt Active Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport
    I would like to try an energy this summer. The one thing i didnt like about the other elites ive had is they are a little on the noisy side compared to past parallel limb bows. I have heard/read that the new ones are a lot better.

12. Jan 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM
    bucktales

bucktales *Retired* curmudgeon

Member:
    Ct.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport AC / 2014 FJC/ 1972 Rally Nova
    Been a while since I checked this thread.
    OP, I scrapped the factory rest last Summer. Those little brushes wore out after practice shooting a lot and accuracy began to drop.
    Ended up with a QAD drop-away rest and couldn't be happier. Groups then became scary tight.

Waiting for first light...
    IMG_7172_zpsaae05f30_82774a0c86682c65a24f007102d32477e4fb073e.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top