1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me choose new tires and coils

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MacGyvR, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers

Okay. I'll keep that in mind as I continue to look at tires.

Was there anyway to keep stock height without buying OEM coils? I'm nervous about the center of gravity, as well as having to pay for an AAL.

EDIT:
    Also, due to budget constraints, I'm not going to be able to replace the coils and the shocks at the same time. What would happen if I ran new 5100's with bad coils? Would it shorten the life of the shocks?

2. Jun 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    i have a set of 265/75r16 firestone dest a/ts. had them for about the last 2,000 miles and i have nothing but good things to say at this point. I got all four mounted and balance at firestone for $618, everything else was over that price by a lot. as far as coils go im running my stock coils on 5100s at the top setting. I got about 1.5" lift in the front out of the setup. im also running the allpro offroad 1.5 shackles that lifted the rear up to match (about an inch). This has been a good setup for me so far and im very happy with the tires, so i would obviously recommend them for you. maybe this will help you decide

3. Jun 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    The firestones are looking good, my greatest concern is tread life though. Consumer report gives it an awful treadlife. I would really love to not have to buy new tires in 40,000 miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top