1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide on this truck!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by slowstang, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Dec 27, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    NC Tacoma

NC Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Wadesboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Sport
    I had a 98 4x4 reg cab and i only paid $4500 w/93000 miles and drove it for 3 years hit a deer and the insurance company gave me $8707.00 for it. Now I have a 04 4x4 ext cab TRD w/38000 miles and I paid 14000 cash. I hope it was a good deal.

2. Dec 27, 2008 at 8:44 AM
    slowstang

slowstang [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Still Looking...
    Thanks again for the info guys. I'm not really crazy about spending a bunch of money on a truck with 92K on it....but I'm bad about buying something if it is exactly what I'm looking for and paying too much. LOL

This is basically a little private dealer, who probably doesn't keep anything above $15K on the lot and caters more to the $5K- $7K car buying crowd. They are probably less than 30 minutes away from Statesville NC which has a substantial auction for dealers that I'd guess 20% of the eastern seaboard cars pass thru. I can't remember where the carfax said it came from originally, I'm thinking just the other side of the state on Raleigh but not sure. Seems like there were two owners on it, the 1st having it only a couple years and then the 2nd for around 4 or so...

Still undecided... Malcolm 3.4...wanna sell yours? LOL That is EXACTLY what I'm trying to find, all black instead of the chrome bumpers/grill/mirrors etc....

Just kidding man, but thats what I'm looking for in a nutshell. :D

3. Dec 28, 2008 at 6:58 AM
    Malcolm3.4

Malcolm3.4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 DBLCB TRD
    Rims and BFG AT 265/70/17 Homemade shackle mounts
    Yelp 60k in one year!! I used to daily commute 200 miles a day plus a two week trip thru canada and two trips to new orleans. Now it won't leave the driveway for another month, lost license.

As far as timing belt, they can typically last up to 140k. I had 160k on my 02 4runner sport when I changed it and the belt was still in perfect shape. I bought that one with only 30k on it. 4Runner was nice also, but I missed having bed space.

Make sure that the truck is from the south. Frame rust is a pretty big issue with northern vehicles. My dblcb was from SC and there isn't any rust on anything. My 4Runner was from NY and there was rust everywhere!! All the fittings on everything were rusted and corroded. Made it a real pain to try to fix and maintain it.

4. Dec 28, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    Malcolm3.4

Malcolm3.4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 DBLCB TRD
    Rims and BFG AT 265/70/17 Homemade shackle mounts
    Also, try to stay away from vehicles from the Outer Banks area. I had a CJ5 when I lived in Nags Head that rusted completly in half.:frusty:

Unfortunatly can't sell you mine, took me to long to get the ridges right in the seat. LOL I see alot of black dblcbs running around but most of them are Prerunners. Even if this one isn't up to snuff i.e. rust and price, there are plenty out there.

Don't buy it if you have any thoughts of something ain't right. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, check areas that most people won't. Like under the rear seats, spare tire mechanism, exhaust, rear heating system, and air condionting system. Make sure you get a good smell when the doors first open. Alot of flood vehicles have been hitting the market lately.

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    I bought my 2001 DC around July of 2008 with 95,000 miles, SR5 package with leather, Automatic and paid 12,900. Had to do the timing belt replacement. I bought mine off ebay and it was original owner. Never have bought a truck like that and was in better condition when I picked it up than I thought it would be. Did replace a lower ball joint, brakes, new tires and right now I'm trying to figure out if my cat. converter is going out. Oh changed the sparkplugs and did all the fluids. Have no rattles. LOVE THIS TRUCK. Sold a 2005 ford double cab Fx4 and bought this 2001. I think I got the better deal. Rick

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jan 6, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I got mine a year an a half ago, at 89,000 mi. stock. with new brakes, plugs, timing belt, fan belt, prettly much the works. And with a nice spray in bed liner. I paid 16,500 for it. which I thaught was fair at the time.

7. Jan 6, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    Bean&Cheese

Bean&Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio Texas
    I would have kept my 01 d-cab trd 4x4 if it would have had antilock brakes. I only bought the 09 because i almost died twice in one week due to no antilock brakes. It seems alot of people didnt get that option :confused: It would have been worth a few grad for that option IMO so make sure all the trucks you look at have that option.

Products Discussed in

To Top