1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide which Tacoma to get

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Madchild, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    Madchild

Madchild [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bloomington MN
    Slim's HID, Tonnau Cover
    This truck will primarily be my daily driver in the winter time, because I have a scooter in the summer. So my real purpose to get this truck is to tow my trailer with my race bike/gear on it in the summer and fiddy (the bed should be enough) in the winter. The trailer is an open trailer 5x8 so its nothing to bike. A Yamaha R6 along with my Honda XR50 to the race tracks. On race weekends when I'm heading to the track I typically bring 2 sets of wheels, extra tires from the previous weekend, smaller craftman tool box, 3 large bin full of gear, 4 5 gallon jugs for gas, camping gear, 2-3 coolers full of food and liquids. So the trailer and my girlfriends Acura MDX I've been using is fully loaded (I'm the type of person who needs to bring everything in my garage just incase something happens). There's only enough room for the 2 of us to get to the track.

Previously I have been using my girlfriends Acura MDX, but that car is long gone. We were getting horrible gas mileage on that thing. Somewhere in the low 13s-14s, where her counter parts would get in the mid 20s. She now has a 2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD.

My current vehicle right now is a Acura RSX-Type S and I have never own a truck. I have only driven a Chevy 1500 and 97 Toyota Tacoma access cab previously. I'm not a fan of the back seats. I don't know if the newer models are any better.

I'm not 100% sure which Taco suits my needs. I hate how toyota has so many options out there. The RSX had 2 options. A base model or Type S model so that was a easy decision for me.

Somethings that has to be taken into consideration is that I do plan to keep this thing for a long time becuase I'll be racing bikes for a few more years. I may or maynot get a enclose trailer in the long run. Also plan to marry my gf and have a coupe of rugrets running around later on.

Must haves - Tow Package, JBL System: does both off and sport package come with this?(I can't stand horrible stero. I don't plan to add aftermarket system, so a quality stock system is a must. The RSX is equipped with a BOSE systme and I absouletly love it)

I already know about the difference of a off-road package and sports package (LOCKER VS LSD). I'm not a fisherman, so I don't plan on towing any boats anytime in the near future. Also I don't plan on doing any off-roading either. I like the performance of sportcars, but I know a truck is a truck and there is no way its going to perform like one. Does a 16in vs 17in wheel make a difference when it comes down to gas milage. I know the 17in tire will cost a little bit when they need to be replace. I found out that you can install d-rings in the truck bed. That was one thing that really worry me, because i didn't know how I was going to haul my fiddy around in the winter time. Does all Tacos have a 12V outlet in the bed?

Right now I'm leaning towards the DC LB 4x4 sport package

There are a lot of you on there that haul bikes in your bed. Will the SB with gate down be enough (incase I need to get my bike out of a ditch due to a crash).

Suggestions Opinions?

2. Mar 6, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    freesample

freesample Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport LB
    Visors, Deflector, Husky Liners, too expsensive for good ones :(
    good choice

3. Mar 6, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    That truck will be perfect for you.

4. Mar 6, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    As long as the truck fits your needs and is a good financial decision I would have to say...............enjoy the truck!

5. Mar 6, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    freesample

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    hmm come to think of it. i'm trying to sell mine pretty soon. wish you were closer

6. Mar 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Madchild

Member:
    Bloomington MN
    Slim's HID, Tonnau Cover
    does all taco's come with a 12v outlet?

7. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Sounds like the DBL cab sport LB is a good choice for your needs. I don't think you'll find any significant difference in MPG between a 16" or 17" wheel, the tire diameter will be the same= same mpg; the difference in wheel weight is negligible.

The JBL option in my access cab sounds great but I doubt it will sound as good as your Bose did; if you change your mind later on stereo stuff is an easy upgrade anyway.

I'm not sure about the option differences out there but IMO you should research this yourself because the dealer usually a. isn't an expert, or b. will "bend the truth" to sell what they have on the lot.

And yes. the LB is plenty big to haul a bike, I do recommend adding 2 extra D-rings to the front of the bed.

Good luck!

8. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC V6 TRDsport
    5100's all around - fronts at 1.75", 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2, HID headlights and fog lights, factory skid plate, ss exhaust tip, tube steps, Access roll-up tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, 6 D-rings, seat MagLite, LED dome, fumoto oil drain, DTRL, fog light anytime, Kenwood/Clarion speakers, Pop-N-Lock 5300, LED bed lights and a few other things...
    I bought a 2009 Double Cab short bed and use it to haul my 200exc (dirt bike) around + gear, gas, tools, ramps, etc. It is pushing the limit on being too short. If loaded straight, the rear tire will sit entirely on the tailgate but is still safe and not going to fall off. I initially wanted a long bed but read they are a little more difficult to handle in tight spaces. I use my truck in the city and didn't want the extra hassle.

BUT the LB would fit my bike better. If loaded diagonally, I believe I could close the gate.

Measure your bike and see what will fit. The short bed is 5' and the gate is 1.5' w/ a 2" gap (total = 6.7"). The long bed is 1' longer.

I am also adding d-rings and that is no problem.

9. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    Madchild

Member:
    Bloomington MN
    Slim's HID, Tonnau Cover
    what is a more popular truck in the general public. DC SB or DCLB out of curiosity

10. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC V6 TRDsport
    5100's all around - fronts at 1.75", 265/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2, HID headlights and fog lights, factory skid plate, ss exhaust tip, tube steps, Access roll-up tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, 6 D-rings, seat MagLite, LED dome, fumoto oil drain, DTRL, fog light anytime, Kenwood/Clarion speakers, Pop-N-Lock 5300, LED bed lights and a few other things...
    DC SB. I had difficulty finding any Long Beds around here.

11. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    freesample

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    i got a lb buy it from me!! lol

12. Mar 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Remember the retard dealer that tried telling one of the guys on here that the Taco was front wheel drive?

13. Mar 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    No...only the TRD packages have an outlet, the SR5 and Base models do not have an outlet.

To Top