1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me get the stink out!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by BenWA, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feb 26, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    So a year ago now I spilled an entire venti Starbucks mocha latte all over my driver's seat and driver-side floor carpeting. I must have spent 3 days trying to clean that mess up by rinsing with water and soaking it up with paper towels and a shop vac.

Even after all that, the residual stale coffee and sour milk odor continues to haunt my truck and gives it that "old car" stink. I would guess all from that one incident, as I almost never eat or allow food in my truck and I'm ultra anal about keeping it clean.

Can anyone suggest strategies to get the stink out? I do NOT want to use artificial deodorizers like sprays or hanging air fresheners, or even shampoos with perfumes or scents. I don't want it to smell like a flower, I just want it to smell neutral.

Thoughts? Should I remove my driver side seat and give it a thorough cleaning from the inside out? Should I rent a carpet steamer for the floor carpets? Or would all that be futile at this point?

2. Feb 26, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    That seems logical to me.

3. Feb 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    Thats the problem right there. Your truck is telling you to drink some real coffee!

As far as your problem I would try the steam or take it into a detailer.

4. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    sounds weird but go online and see what you have to delute it to and then you spray some into a rag and then you rub it in.
    my wife did it for me when in my truck i took a corner too quick and a gallon of milk spilt in the back of my AC taco. she just said give me some time. after some time smell was gone.
    peroxide is some amazing stuff.

5. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Take the seat and carpet out. That crap is going to stuck underneath the carpet on the floorpan. And I would suggest steaming also.

6. Mar 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    CrawGator

CrawGator Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Advance cover bed cover
    We had a truck that got wet on the inside once( 1980ish Chevy stepside). We let it dry or so we thought but it was semi damp in the pad and eventually got mold. We ended up having to remove all the carpet, wash it down with odorban and put new carpet in. If you have a detailer that uses a steam cleaner that can get most if not all out as long as you can get the steam to all of the material.

7. Aug 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    My truck now has the stink in it... I was helping my girlfriend move and she put some food in my back seat. Well, she didnt tell me that the milk was leaking and she had tried to contain it all in a plastic bag (you know, the ones from walmart that ALWAYS has holes in it... Well, She realizes that it leaked all over but didnt tell me. It wasnt until 4 days later after I REALLY started to smell the STINK and questioned her about it did I get the truth...

You know, It really isnt too big of a deal, but I wish she would've told me so the milk wasnt bakin in the Arizona heat for 4 days........

8. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    whitetaco01

whitetaco01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner
    Mid Travel Stuff
    I've used the wet okole shampoo on my carpet and it seems to get the stink out. I've also used wetsuit cleaner, its worth a try

9. Aug 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    You probably have some residual coffee that is underneath the carpet. If there is padding underneath the carpet, I would clean the padding as well. Use some good carpet shampoo and then let everything dry completely.

10. Sep 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    BenWA

BenWA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I peeled the carpet back and shampooed the underlayment padding.

As a side note, I learned a lesson here -- I rented a steamer from the grocery store and the previous user must have used it to vacuum up cat pee out of a carpet, because it had some residual cat whiz in the tubing and cycled it thru my truck's carpet -- so my truck went from smelling like sour milk to smelling like a cat had had it's way with the carpeting. :rolleyes:

I ended up renting a different steamer that luckily got the cat piss and coffee out, but I had to use pet urine neutralizer to get the stink out.

Now my truck just smells like damp wood from the MDF that I used to build my sub box...:cool:

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I bought a car a couple of years ago that smelled terribly of cigarette smoke. My buddy owns a dry cleaning business and he had an ozone generator. It's what they use to get smoke smells out of clothes and drapes when there has been a house fire. We turned it on and left it in there running for about 6 hours. All the cigarette smell was gone. Worked wonders.

12. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    Ive seen this episode of seinfeld, it didnt end well, glad you had a different result! I wish they sold new car smell in a can tho hehe.

Products Discussed in

To Top