1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me setup my new taco's suspension :D

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cgrove04, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:53 PM
    cgrove04

cgrove04 [OP] 2010 tacoma v6 fox's

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd sport v6 tacoma, fox's, ap bump, 33's
    Hey yall, I currently have an '07 taco 4x4 reg cab 4 cylinder and have had the best of times in the thing so I decided to upgrade a little. After searching the whole northeast and southeastern US I was finally able to find someone that would allocate the specific truck for me within a week without having to wait a few months for an order (had to have the straight shift in black :D). Anyways, I am almost in possession of a black sand pearl 4x4 v6 trd sport extended cab straight. I have been all over the forums looking at rims, lights, grills, lids, almost everything I can't really afford. The biggest problem I run into is knowing absolutely nothing about the suspension, so I thought I'd come to my fellow taco lovers.
    I know I want around a 3 inch lift, also I really wanna keep the truck for quite some years so anything that may hurt it's longevity I want to avoid. I want to keep the price for the front and rear suspension below about 2 grand (even though I like the long travel look) because those atx thugs are looking really good. I like the look of the baja claws on the thugs too but I heard they're really loud and wear pretty fast so any suggestions on the tires would be greatly appreciated as well. I think the sport comes with the blisteins :confused: but I really don't know much about it. I want to do some offroading, no sand, mostly mud etc up in the wv mountains. For now though I'm just using it to get around in Richmond, va so a lot of city driving with more potholes then roads. I'll answer any questions and really look forward to posting my monster's progression.

Thanks for reading!

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Good set of coilovers for around $1000 and some Light Racing Upper control arms. I think those are like $400. That takes care of the front. Then in the rear maybe OME 1.5" leafpacks for $400. Bilstein rear shocks or something or that nature. Right about $2k. The coilovers will be able to adjust to 3" of lift. The uca's will allow for your alignment to get back to spec.

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    are the leaf packs or the blisteins better for the rear in terms of ride quality and durability ignoring the costs.

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    FoxTaco

FoxTaco Hoyt and Tacoma for life!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Fresno/Kingsburg, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Fox coilovers w/black rims
    AFE cold air intake, TRD Cat-Bak, Fox 2.5" resevoir coilovers & 2.0 rear Fox Shox from All-Pro Offroad.com, Daystar 2 1/2" leveling kit, , RBP black mesh grille, Panasonic double din touchscreen (flush(no flip out))
    I have the allprooffroad.com Upper Control Arms (UCA's), Fox 2.5 coilovers. For a better price go with the Fox 2.0 coilovers. I have a Daystar 2 1/2" leveling kit so i could get extra height out of the coilovers but if you only want to go 3" then you dont need those. The UCA's and Fox coilovers are on allprooffroad.com. They were shipped out to my house in 5 business days and they are a great company to work with!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    FoxTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Fresno/Kingsburg, Ca
    Vehicle:
    AFE cold air intake, TRD Cat-Bak, Fox 2.5" resevoir coilovers & 2.0 rear Fox Shox from All-Pro Offroad.com, Daystar 2 1/2" leveling kit, , RBP black mesh grille, Panasonic double din touchscreen (flush(no flip out))
    For the rear i just put an add-a-leaf in the back and it leveled it out great when the front was at 3". It sits lower in the back now cause i lifted the front another 2 1/2" but I like the offset look.

[​IMG]

You can see the extra leaf on the bottom of the leaf package. New leafs are $150-$200 a pair.

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    is there anything else I need to get for the front suspension besides the uca's and the coil overs, like anything for the differential. Hey fox how's it ride compared to the stock suspension. I was also wondering if someone knows who sells the trd cai for cheap, flowmaster 40 and headers.

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    FoxTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Fresno/Kingsburg, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I didnt get anything else and it rides fine. Compared to stock its very similar except tires ride a little sloppy but any over size tire is going to do that. I have 285/75/17 but if you go with a little smaller tire it will help that a lot! In the back if you put another leaf it will stiffen the ride and if you go with a block it will stay closer to the stock ride and since your not lifting it a bunch the block wont cause axle wrap.

8. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    First off, don't stack lifts. Luke coilovers with a spacer on top. Second, don't use blocks to lift the rear use aal. They are only about 80 a pair.
    If you wan to spend a little extra then yes go fox. I have the 2.0 coilovers and total chaos upper control arms. But you said you will not be offroading a lot so that's why I said you don't need the beefy uniball upper control arms. And since you are doing that much to the front I would say ge new leaf packs instead of just an aal. I have the all pro 3". I also have timbren bump stops in the rear and ome shocks.

9. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
  10. Jan 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the crappy spelling ^ I am on my phone.

11. Jan 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    Nice thanks for the info, just one other question what's the optimal height for the rear if the front is on the 2.5 coilovers. The 3 inch all pro would work? and what's the bump stops do

12. Jan 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    3 inch would probably be too big. You would only need 1.5" leaf packs. I have my fox coilovers set at 3" and if you look in my gallery you can see how mine sits. I choose the 3" leafs because I am running 285/75/16 tires and when I had only a one Inc lift in the rear the tires would rub the inside of the rear fenders when flexing. They don't with the 3". It all depends on how you want your truck to sit. Level? Rear a little higher?

The bump stops are just basically an aftermarket bump stop. More smoother when bottoming out. Not a loud thunk. Some people use them for towing. But unlike the hard stock ones, these are softer so they smoosh down. I rarely tow but I like them for trail offroading because hey help.

13. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    Are the factory suspension settings pretty even front to rear? Does it hurt the truck if the back end is a little higher or lower too

14. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    If you look at a stock Tacoma the rear is higher. It's just preference. There are no negatives to have a rake front or rear that I'm aware of. If you wanted the back or front like 8" higher well that may be a problem.

15. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    haha thx j/w

16. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
  17. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    just wonderin :)

18. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha

19. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    cgrove04

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Richmond
    Vehicle:
    Alright if I were to get some 2.5 coilovers, some uca's for the front and for the rear the ome's or blisteins with the all pro 3 inch leafs. What can I do for tires and rims size wise?

20. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    What size rims you got? You can get 285/75/16 or the equvalent in a 17" rim depending on what you got on. If you are buying new rims then you get whatever. With the 3" packs you will sit a little higher in the rear.

Products Discussed in

To Top