1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me spend my money!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ubaderb, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Feb 19, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    Ubaderb

Ubaderb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma TRD OR
    I debated posting this in the Suspension section but figured I would get more views here. I need help figuring out what I am going to do with my rear suspension. I have the currently have the front figured out. It will be either King's or Fox's extended travel coilovers. This will complete my "Mid-Travel" upfront. So that brings me to the rear. I have come to three different conclusions on this.

Option 1: OME Dakars, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers and Bilstein 5125(or 5110, unsure which would work better)

Option 2: OME Dakars, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers and DSM spec Kings (1" longer for the Dakars)

Option 3: Ome Dakars, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers and a shock relocation with a 12" Smoothie

So obviously all three share at least two things in common. The Dakars simply because I like everything I have read about them and seem to be generally voted the best. I want the Hammer Hangers because the slight increase of droop plus the 1/2' of lift gained. Another reason I want them is every review I have seen claimed it really fixed the rear end from the "ox-cart" feeling the truck has.

Option 1 is the cheapest but unsure of ride quality compared to the front. I like option 2(may be the one I end up going with). Option 3 will be the most expensive and time consuming but will have to most benefits out of it. So with that what would you guys choose?

I should probably give some background on my truck so everyone will know what I want to use it for. 90% daily driver, 10% Weekend "Overlander"(I just love that word). I will hardly ever have weight in the bed, if I do it will just be camping supplies. I will probably never tow with this truck. I live in Ky, so most of my offroading won't be me bombing in the desert. If I forgot to answer anything please tell me!

TL;DR: Help me spend money on the rear end of my truck that might just ultimately be overkill.

2. Feb 19, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    R490

R490 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Upgrayedd
    VA/PA
    give it to me and i'll spend it for ya.

SR-71A likes this.
  3. Feb 20, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^^ That guy doesn't know how to spend money.

Send it to my wife.

ToxicTwin likes this.
  4. Feb 20, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I run HD Dakars, BAMF shock relocation and 12" 5125's. Pretty inexpensive and leaves room to upgrade.

0AA332EC-4B00-4343-A47D-7C9B229A2F9A.jpg

I threw this iteration of my rear suspension together while planning a wedding and buying a house. Sounds to me like you are in the same boat as me as far as function of the suspension and if you get anything more than that, the only thing you'll be flexing for is for the gram (Instagram).

My .02, get the archive hangers and their shock relocation and a 14" 5125. You can fit a 14" shock with their relocation and will be fine for what you want to do. If you feel the need to upgrade shocks, all the work is done and you can go with a King 14" in the future.

If the archive hangers and shock relocation are too much money, look into front Ford shock towers. They're inexpensive and you can still fit a 14" shock in there.

MattCowsmasher likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top