1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! My taco is making some bad noises

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LeadFootCaliKid, May 7, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

LeadFootCaliKid [OP] It's a work in progress.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    So my truck has been making more and more squeaking noises lately. Anybody know what they could be?

The first is a brake squeaking. I just took the tires of and cleaned all my brakes, but the small squeaking I just recently started hearing has been getting much worse. Plenty of life left on the back shoes, and I'm pretty sure the front pads are fine too.

The second could be related to the brakes. I just started hearing it today. It's a very light squeaking (sounds like brake squeaking) coming from the front. It happens when I'm turning right, NOT braking. And it doesn't happen if I'm going slow, almost like the body has to lean some.

The the last one I haven't noticed until recently but it could have been happening for a while. It's a very quiet, high pitched squeaking, coming from under the cab I think. Only happens when starting from a complete stop at a stop light or going fast at a stop sign. The faster I start (the more the back sinks), the louder it gets. It goes away quickly.

2. May 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Probably dirt between your pads on the brakes.

Other one sounds like dirt in the leaf springs. Wash your truck and spray those down...

3. May 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    yeah, dirty pads or worn pads. Did you check the front pads?

the last one sounds like a u joint or carrier bearing.

4. May 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    Could the dirt stay in between there for days or weeks? I would assume that after using the brakes a little that they could kinda clean themselves.

And my leafs have always made noise. I've got them to quiet down recently but the sound I'm hearing is much different than that. It's more high pitched. It almost sounds like something leaking or venting with the doors closed. It wasn't until I took off with my door open that I noticed it was a squeaking.

I didn't check the pads. I'm kind of upset at myself for that. I remembered to took at the back brakes but forgot about the front. The braking squeaking sounds like it's coming from the back though.

U-joint and carrier bearing? Those are both in th drive shaft right? Replace or lube?

5. May 17, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have some annoying sounds going on too. I am thinking the dirt thing could be the culprit. It's in the front and I notice it more when I turn also. I have 80k on these brakes so I would'nt be surprised if they need changing. Post up when you find out the problem cause I think that'll help me~!

6. May 17, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    Sounds a lot like the same thing. I lube the backing plate my rear brakes last week, and most of the noise went away. But what noise was left sounds like it's gotten worse. And that break squealing on corners when I'm not braking in really annoying. I'm getting a lot of that kind of squeaking at lower speed. Could it be wheel bearings?

Products Discussed in

To Top