1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!! need some answer for a newby..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacolover91, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    tacolover91

tacolover91 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Peculiar, MO
    Vehicle:
    2002 ext. sr5
    nothin yet
    hey man,
    i have an 02 tacoma ext. cab 4x4. its the 2.7 liter 4 cyl. sand pearl black..
    i would like to put some type of power kit into it so i can gain more torgue or h.p.... and is there a chip or something for more power and better gas or keepin the gas the same with power gain?

is there any way you could let me no what hlps or what i can get for this. i just bought it and love it! i put a leveling kit and wheels and tires. i would also like to have a turtle shell...? have one?
    sry for all the questions but would like to get feed back from people with experience and the love of the tacos, vs. listening to a sales man pitch...

email me at tynewell91@gmail.com or call/text me (anytime) @ (816)-309-4874. thanks guys.

2. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R
    SAS.. Need I say more.
    Welcome!

No power gains... Nothing provides noticable power unless it's a supercharger/ turbocharger.. Chips are a scam.

Get some pictures up of your ride!!

3. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    x2 we got the creepy sometimes

4. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You can't have more power AND better gas mileage. You can have one or the other, but not both. What do you use to get more power? More gas.... food for thought.

5. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This ^^^^^^

6. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    newskooler

newskooler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Lake Shastina,ca
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma x-cab TRD SR5
    881/5100 front, 5100 rear, AAL, K&N intake, Diff breather, grey wire mod, tg Low pro and sliders, Custom tube bumper, pinch weld mod, and more... smoked taillights, fabtech tire carrier, sony headunit, 12v always power mod, #70 unhappy clutch spring mod,
    best bet would be deckplate mod and a less restrictive muffler. you could do headers but from what im reading there isnt an huge increase in power unless you have a supercharger. i had a programmer for my silverado, oh man did that guy see me coming, maybe .25mpg better not worth the money.

good luck with the shell craigslist would probably be your best bet for a cheap one.

7. Feb 3, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 RC | 4x4 | 2.7 | 5 speed

Not necessarily true. More power means less gas to get moving. Supercharging and turbocharging actually increases efficiency. People get less gas mileage with these applications because they tend to have a heavier foot since having power is fun to "play" with.

8. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Bobbed Left front ~ Ok not really but I bought it crashed from the kids dad 4-CHEAP. Frame Swap and 04 Clip + 6" lift ~ Woo Hoo!!!
    I tend to think more power = more air + more fuel.
    More air and More fuel = less MPG.

I don't think Toyota left much on the table for real world MPG #'s from efficency improvments.

The only place I've seen efficency improvments make power and better MPG #'s are older V-8s and Diesels.

If you bumped up a tire size you might could swap diff gears for better get up and go from your curent set up ~ but the cost might make it less appealing.

also: The cars getting big MPG numbers are running super lean ~ 17:1 18:1 air fuel with a stellar aerodynamics package. Toyota can't program a truck to run that lean and do truck work + the aero package / tire size / wind drag kills MPG #'s.

9. Feb 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Yes, you can have more power and better mpg but more than likely there will be heavy foot syndrome. There are no easy cheap ways to get a lot of power. How much are you will to pay per hp? Only real gains you will see are with a forced induction setup. All the bolt on stuff are not going to give you the gains you seek. Have to pay to play.

My opinion is to build a truck to romp offroad and save the speed for a car.

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 RC | 4x4 | 2.7 | 5 speed
    ^^agree. Got the truck to haul the dogs. Got the 335i to play.

To Top