1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help needed ASAP, Rear strut dangling

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nermalgod, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Feb 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    I had the leaf spring TSB performed last month. For the last week, I've been hearing a thumping from the back of my truck and figured it was axel wrap. I was going to take my truck in for them to look into it. It sounded worse than normal today on my way to work. I get to work and stick my head under the truck, my driver's side shock is dangling from the frame. The bolt that holds it to the axel is gone. No apparent damage to the shock mount or the end of the shock, lots of scarring on the shock tube itself.

I called to get a tow, which is no problem, but I can't get a rental until the dealer opens tomorrow. I can't be without a vehicle. There's a hardware store up the street, should I buy a bolt and nut to patch the thing up until tomorrow? What size/length/grade should I buy. Any magic words I should use when I go back to the dealer tomorrow to bitch at them for not tightening the bolt after the spring swap?

2. Feb 1, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This is going to sound a bit ignorant...but you can't be without a vehicle overnight on a Sunday into Monday??

I would NOT recommend just throwing hardware in there to make due. If anything worse happens the dealership may say it's your fault and that makes it that much more of a pain.

I would try to last until tmrw without the truck...and get it to the dealership ASAP.

3. Feb 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Happy 1000 post, BTW!!

I agree with what BrunesDoesTRD says. Also, you could have removed the shock and still drove the vehicle. I would have just wired it up and left it for the dealer to look at.

4. Feb 1, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Thanks chris- I'm glad I used that 1000 in here insted of bashing that other guy....or maybe it was bashing that other guy- but I'm going to pretend....O=)

5. Feb 1, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    Well thanks for using your 1000th post to bash me then. I am a long way from home and with no fix until Monday, means I can't go home . . . or even to a hotel. Sure, I can do without a vehicle, but just not when I'm stranded somewhere i don't want to be.

6. Feb 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    It wasn't a bash man- It was a question. I didn't get the bit about you not being home from your first post.
    Like Chris said- Just take it off so you don't damage it and you'll be alright.

To Top