1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help. New 5100s & Single AAL- Alignment & Grabber AT2 ?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Bowhunter175, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Mar 14, 2017 at 2:06 AM
    Bowhunter175

Bowhunter175 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Celestial Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road DCLB 4x4
    Jeraco Cap w/ Yakima Bars, Rough Country Nerf Hoop Steps, bug deflector,
    I just put on my gen-2 5100s at the 1.75 inch setting with the factory springs and the AAL in the rear. How long (or how many miles) should I wait until I put on the new tires and then have it aligned? I am worried doing about damage to the truck if I run it too long. It seems to be pretty well aligned but want it to settle. Anyone like the Grabber AT2 265/70/17 for a daily driver that is used off road for hunting and driving in snow? Post Pics if you have these tires on a gen 3 with the factory rims.

2. Mar 14, 2017 at 7:40 AM
    wirenut

wirenut I like this place

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NH
    Vehicle:
    98’ T4R
    OME/5100 - 300lb 3.5” loft setup Prinsu 3/4 rack
    If you used the stock coils there shouldn't be much settling i would imagine. Send it right over have them straighten it out. When you drive it is there any vibration in the gas pedal? If so you may have to do a carrier bearing swap.

bobrown14 and securekey like this.
  3. Mar 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
  4. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    Bowhunter175

Bowhunter175 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I put on the new tires last Saturday and when they pulled off my tires they showed me that my cv boot was tore and the grease was all pouring out. I took the truck to my dealer today and they said the boot tore because of the angle of the 5100s? Does this make sense? They are telling me that the boot and labor Is not under warranty and before replacing it that they need to install a Toytec front differential drop kit. I am not a mechanic. Does this make sense or is this just a ploy to not warranty the boot? Should I fight them on the warranty and still install the drop kit. Please help!!

5. Mar 24, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    wirenut

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NH
    Vehicle:
    98’ T4R
    I've got a 17' taco with 5100's paired with OME 887's and 1/2" spacers on the top and my dealer did the alignment and everything came out good. I would say your boot had prior damage from something. Push them a little see what comes of it.

6. Mar 25, 2017 at 4:30 AM
    Bowhunter175

Bowhunter175 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sound like a plan. I have the factory springs and no spacers but the angle doe seem severe. The truck was lifted. 2 weeks ago and notice grease almost right away. The tire installer showed me the torn boot 6 days after the lift. Does the differential drop kit make sense? Will it help other parts wearing or just an excuse for the dealer to not warranty the boot and the labor.

7. Mar 25, 2017 at 5:18 AM
    wirenut

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NH
    Vehicle:
    98’ T4R
    I'm not sure about the diff drop, I've never needed to install one. I'm sure it just does what it says, and drops the differential. I think there like 25 to 30$

8. Mar 25, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    CZ5ANM Taco

CZ5ANM Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Manual 35x11.5s
    Front Suspension King Ext Fronts 700# Icon UCA delta joints JD fab spindle gussets All Pro cam tabs DuroBumps Warfab steering sleeves Rear Suspension Old Man Emu leafs -Radflo Ext travel rears Timbrens ubolt flip kit SCS stealth 6 Wheels 35x11.5 Maxxis Razr [ 34.5 x 9.75 on 8.5 rim not on truck] Heavy Stuff Relentless front bumper Smitty 3rd Gen winch Big County Customs skid plates Arc One industries rear HC bumper RCI sliders Misc Arb dual compressor Arb rear locker Pelfreybilt fuse panel tray Cali raised ditch light mounts Cali raised bed stiffeners 5th Gen 4runner LED fog lights Racks Retraxone XR tonneau Yakima load bars Sherpa Roof Rack Camping Smittybilt Tent Dometic CFX50 fridge
    Going off that statement I'm going to assume you didn't install the lift yourself. Meaning I can freely say the guy who installed your lift screwed up and damaged the cv during install. Or you took it to the woods and a 'stick speared you' some how... most likely the first statement though. Unfortunately lessons learned never lift a vehicle without checking your cv yourself next to the mechanic about to do the work to cover your ass.

Guys on her running a lot taller lift than you with no issues. I'm at about 2 inches lift and my cv angles look fine with no 'cv fins ' rubbing each other.

Sorry it happened to you.

put up a pick of your cvs let's see this severe angle.

wirenut likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top