1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help, No AC with defog mod completely disabled my AC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by plurpimpin, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I did the defrost AC disable mod the other day on my 2010. I did it as the Mod thread describes it. Unhooked the solid green wire on the solenoid behind the glove box and spliced it into the pink wire next to it to retain the re-circulate feature (the splice is specific for the newer models, I think it's '09 or '10 up).

The AC button lights up when I press it but the air never actually gets cold. Anybody have any ideas? I'm going to go pull things apart and mess with it now (check wiring and fuses) but I figured I'd post this up to see if anyone else has had this problem with this mod and knows how to fix it.

2. Sep 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    OK so I tested a few things with no luck. Checked the fuses under the hood, nothing blown. The compressor is kicking on when I turn the AC on and the fan is blowing but I get no cold air.

I completely reversed the defrost mod and hooked up everything back to factory and I still have no AC. Is there anything I could have shorted or other fuses to check that I'm missing?

EDIT: Also the vents make a weird hissing noise when the AC is on. The noise goes away when the AC is off and the system is just on fan.

3. Sep 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    If the AC looses power you have to run with truck below 45 miles an hour. I do not know why that is, but it is.

4. Sep 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4

Run for 45 min with the AC on? I'm goin wheelin alittle later so keepin it under 45 wouldn't be a problem.

5. Sep 9, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    the wheeling part. Time frame is actually quite small, only a few minutes. My truck had some bad wiring in the Junction box. It would drop power every few days. My AC would be toast until I drove it a mile at 45 MPH. Then it would blow cold again. I hope this is your issue and not something more major.

6. Sep 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    ok cool, just re-read your post, for some reason in my head 45 mph also meant 45 min. I'll give it a try tonite.

7. Sep 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I drove around abunch today with the AC on both with the mod performed and reversed back to the factory configuration. I still don't have AC, anybody have any ideas of what to check? I've checked all the fuses

8. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Sorry to keep bumping this but I've been trying to figure this out all day.

I just messed with it some more and I noticed that the line to the condenser is getting cold so the compressor is kicking on and working when I press the AC button. But it doesn't seem to be actually cooling the air in my system.

Does anybody know where the air is actually cooled? I'm thinking my problem is around there.

Products Discussed in

To Top