1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help on alternator upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Babbar Khalsa, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Babbar Khalsa

Babbar Khalsa [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manjot
    Cooper City FL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5 2.7l
    Stock
    Hey everyone am new, and plan on doing an alternator upgrade to my tacoma 2.7l. I am going to do a 250 amp alt with 2 xs power batteries d 3100 which is going to be supplying power to my two audio q 2200 amps. Am getting real confused since this is my first time. How big does the wire have to be from alt to fuse box? is 1/0 gauge safe? how big should my fuse be from alt to fuse box? What will happen if i have too small of a wire or to big of a wire?

I am new to this so any of your help i highly appreciate.

THANKS :)smile_d45c685b44f47ffcd51b61348276a37e0d5bba6e.gif

2. Apr 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    go to http://www.bcae1.com/

on the right side there are a bunch of topics, scroll down to #16, Wire. Read that.

Main fuses are sized to prevent wires from chaffing through the insulation and starting a fire. I actually haven't looked yet on my Tacoma, but OEMs typically put in a fusible link for the battery to fuse box "fuse". If you upgrade wiring (like what is known as the "Big 3") then you should upgrade the fusible link. For the wire from battery to fuse for amplifiers, it should again be fused to protect the wire. At the amp there is typically a fuse to protect the amp - very few amplifier OEMs did not install one (Xtant comes to mind as a company that didn't). All the above I wrote is probably only approximately correct due to how much I was willing to type - read #16 above until you understand what it is saying. Reading just about that whole site wouldn't hurt none - you'll know more about car audio than probably all of your friends.

3. May 1, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    Babbar Khalsa

Babbar Khalsa [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manjot
    Cooper City FL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5 2.7l
    Stock
    Thanks bro helped alot

Products Discussed in