1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help out the taco Newb

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jdjp, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    jdjp

jdjp [OP] Member

Member:
    So I have a 2005 GTO for a DD, and I know nothing about tacomas except they last a long time. Well thats not true I know that a 85 is a good year because no IFS and the first year with feul inj. but they seem very hard to find.

So I need some help, and let me apologize for the lazy newb post, but i have found that there are some cool people on most forums that don't mind answering a few questions, so I thought Id give it a try.

I want a rig for hunting. I want to spend as little money as I can but it cant have terrible gas mi. because i want it to get me to the hunting spots first. And i live in florida so im bound to come across some big water puddles here and there.
    I really want a single cab (no extended cab) v6 4x4, because i think they look the best with big tires and a lift, kinda like a small monster truck.
    do they make a v6 single cab? what is a good year to look for?
    Id like a 5 speed just because i have had a lot of problems in the past with autos, which are better for off road?

Now for the lift and tires, like I said florida and water, but a lot of the water has white sand bottom nice and hard. my buddy told me 33" tires are kinda the norm, but what lift would I want? how would a stock truck on 33s hande 3 even 4 feet of water? I was thinking about a snorkle?

KEEP IN MIND THIS TRUCK IS FUNCTION FIRST, LOOKS LAST

It will have a dog box, maybe rhino lined hood for the dogs to stand on

here is a cool video of the area i might be in..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyWvUWtul1Y&feature=related
    Help me out fellas

2. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    yota32

yota32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There was no (is still isn't) V6 offered in the single cab tacos. You can't go wrong with any year first gen taco however, the 95-2000 tacos are under a frame recall for the rust problems; toyota is buying back those years due to excessive rust...you'll probably have a hard time finding that year taco. Now the 2001-2004 (still gen one) tacos also have the frame rust recall but they are either coating the frame or actually replacing the whole frame under warranty. I think the 2001-04 tacos are the best; I recently bought a 2001 taco SR5 4wd single cab with a five speed manual; awesome truck! You definetly want the five speed manual with the 4 cylinder; it's a dog with the auto (five speed is just better anyway). As far as a lift, can't help you there...I don't lift or wheel my truck. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with a taco...best midsize truck period.

3. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
  4. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
  5. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
  6. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    there was too a v6 in first gen reg cabs.

I too had a 05 GTO. miss that car to death but i had horrible luck with the rear ends. I used to autocross it and the posi couldnt put up with drifting went through 3 clutch sets. I got myself a 2010 reg 4x4 last year and i love it. the 2.7l 4 cylinder in the newer (2nd gen 05+) is rated for around the same hp and torque as the 3.4l v6 in the 1st gen tacomas. Its no 400/400 like that 6l gto but my tacoma does pretty good for itself i have no complaints. 26mpgs is nice too. Although i used to get the same with my goat

7. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    4ft of water is going to put your entire hood under, or pretty damn close.

extend all your breathers into the cab. make sure all cab seals are good. you're going to want a snorkel is you plan on goin thru water that deep

8. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    jdjp

jdjp [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replys guys, Blue i only want however much lift ill need, so if i can get through a bunch of water with 33s a 3" lift and a snorkle, then thats what i want.

Thanks for that ad thats pretty much exactly what im looking for, such a cool little truck.

9. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    jdjp

jdjp [OP] Member

Member:
    yeah man, i tried to get myself to sell the goat, and buy a new truck, and there is just no convincing me. I don't plan on selling her at all right now.
    the top end speed, the exhaust note, the nice smooth ride, For the money, you just cant beat it, its a drivers race with the new camaro SS, and it smokes chargers, and mustangs (till the new 5.0 comes out:eek:)

But being that I love to hunt, and I have to count on people taking me all the time, its time to get a truck.

10. Jul 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    i recommend a 3 inch lift with 33s. dont do a 6 inch drop bracket lift

11. Aug 1, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    Beeson

Beeson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 15" Unique Steelie rims, Allpro wheel spacers, Heavy Old Man Emu coils, struts, shocks, leaf springs, Daystar 1" spacer, Camburg UCAs, 1" diff drop, NO sway bar, Allpro sliders, Allpro Rear bumper, Bushwacker fender flares, Tire Gate with spare, ARB Deluxe bumper with Hella 700s and 100w bulbs, 100w lights under frame pointed at tires, 50w lights on bumper for reverse, K&N Drycharger with cover, Flowmaster cat-back with custom 2-out exhast, DeeZee tool box, Huskey Liners, 5% window tint, JVC iPhone/CB compatable deck, Bazooka sub, sony speakers, Uniden CB w/4 ft. anntenna, Dixie Horn.
    Amen, especially if it's just for hunting. You can't go wrong with the Old Man Emu 3 in. lift, but if that's a little too pricey (at least about $1000 if you do it yourself) you could go with a Revtech or something with diff blocks (I hated mine, but I do more offroading). If it's just for hunting and a little light offroading to get there, it will work (but will be stiff).

12. Aug 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    jdjp

jdjp [OP] Member

Member:
    Found a 1985 reg cap 4x4 with the 22r engine
    he is asking $1900 100000mi he says the roof bed and floorboards are rusting, says it needs to be taken to a body shop so i assume its a lot of rust.

Its lifted and has 35s, what do you guys think?

I was thinking offer him $1500 wouldn't it be worth it?

looks pretty good in the pictures

I want to go check it out tomarrow

13. Aug 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    1985 was a magic model year for Toyota pickups. 1st year of fuel injection on the 22R and last year for the solid axle. Makes up for a LOT of bad stuff (rust).

14. Aug 6, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    jdjp

jdjp [OP] Member

Member:
    I was hoping for a v6, how is the 22r going to be with the 35s? And how will it do in the mud and water?

thanks

15. Aug 7, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Gear it low enough, and anything's possible...

Products Discussed in

To Top