1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help please! Heater & A/C fan stopped working.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RCNG FAN, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    RCNG FAN

RCNG FAN [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hope someone here can help me. Yesterday my dash fan vents suddenly didn't work anymore. The A/C and Recirc buttons still light up, but the fans don't work (at any speed setting) and when I turn the dial on the right hand side to switch from one set of vents to another, nothing happens there either. For example, I figured that even with the fan out I could at least still run the defog vent to clear my fogged up windshield. I turned the vent dial to "defog" but nothing happened, all vents seemed to stay closed.

Is there one fuse or relay that controls both of these??

Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 12, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Their will be a Relay and a fuse if I am not mistaken. Try placing the vent to top only (not at legs) then place temp knob on coldest setting and max blower. If it does not come on then check the fuse boxes. If the fuse is good then check the relay. To check if its working set to hi blower and switch the relay with another that is the same (a non critical relay example: such as brakes. The realys will have the same nubers) If the blower turns on then it is a bad relay, if not the blower may be bad. Make sure to place the good relay back in the original location. If its a bad relay the nearest auto parts stores should carry them.

3. Apr 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    mwcet8k

mwcet8k Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4wd
    None yet, but soon a small lift and 18" KMC rims w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I'm having exactly the same problem described above, except that mine will stop working for a half hour or so, then suddenly start working again. It will be fine for a week or two, then stop working again for a bit, then work fine again for another week or so.

Did replacing the relay take care of it for you?

4. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    RCNG FAN

Member:
    Actually, when I opened the little hatch door and reached in to see if there were any leaves or something clogging the works, I got a big surprise when the fan blade began to spin! I wasn't hurt at all, just got a little scare.

Anyway, I then unbolted the whole assembly and removed it for inspection. I cleaned up around the outer edge of the fan blade as it looked like it had some sticky residue around there. Then I put it back together and it hasn't given me a problem since. :)

5. Apr 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    bellphill

bellphill Member

Member:
    This happend to my 06 a few months ago, and My A/C tecnician gave the Blower unit a few Bangs with a Rubber Hammer and It Started working Again. What he said is that sometimes debris gets into the blower assembly and clogs it up.Once he free it and he realised everything still worked we pulled the unit and cleaned it , no probs since

6. May 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    mwcet8k

mwcet8k Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC 4wd
    None yet, but soon a small lift and 18" KMC rims w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I might try pulling mine apart this weekend. The fan assembly is located under the dash on the passenger side, right?

7. May 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    RCNG FAN

Member:

Yes

8. May 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
  9. Sep 21, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    luvnthedream

luvnthedream New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michelle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma
    Thank you everyone! A few months ago my AC just quit working, then a few days later it switched on again. A couple days ago the same thing happened but when I hit a bump in the road it switched back on. Well today it stopped again. It's like the switch setting didn't work at turning my blower on. I googled an checked my resistor but it looked clean and no burned outlets, so I replaced the fuse and still no AC. I then checked my ac filter and man was that a mess. Went and got filter and replaced the old but still no ac. So I googled some more which lead me here and Voila! Bellphill said their mechanic gave the blower a tap and it worked so I went outside with mallot in hand and Voila!!!! It's working!!!! I was going to try and replace the blower but now I know debris from my dirty filter probably prevented the blower from working. So a big Thank You! :)

10. Aug 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 New Member

Member:
    WHAT IS THE BLOWER MOTOR FUSE # or NAME?

11. Sep 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Okay guys after the recent comments I'm fairly certain I know the problem as its happened to me. The blower wire pigtail that plugs into the resistor block has a loose connection. Toyota sells the pigtail replacement. Don't remember the cost or part number.

Follow the wiring that enters the blower motor resistor block the white wire is main supplied power I'd bet it's turned brown about 1 inch to 1/2 an inch all the way to the connector. If so the pigtail needs replacing.

To Top