1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Reducing Road Vibrations on New TRD OR

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by brian2sun, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Feb 22, 2021 at 8:27 PM
    Jim1946

Jim1946 2020 TRD Sport 4X4

Member:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport 4X4
    I run my 2020 TRD sport at 29 psi per the door sticker. I have no complaints about the ride quality on any road I’ve been on here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

shakerhood and brian2sun[OP] like this.
  2. Feb 22, 2021 at 8:37 PM
    RatDaddy

RatDaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD O/R Premium pkg
    None
    I would think it's a tire issue plus bad roads. My 2017 OR is smooth as silk on the road and the roads where I live are the worst roads in my city. Compared to my Rubicon and my F150 it feels like a Cadillac.

michael roberts and shakerhood like this.
  3. Feb 22, 2021 at 8:48 PM
    michael roberts

michael roberts Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    07,4x4, white, AC.
    powder coated hood support.
    Have your tires/wheels checked to see if they are balanced. Low or uneven air pressure would unlikely cause the extreme vibrations you are experiencing.

4. Feb 22, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    Vea

Vea Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma or
    Run you tires at 40, that will solve your problem.

Toyota_Eddy likes this.
  5. Feb 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM
    brian2sun

brian2sun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD OR DCSB ‘17 4Runner Limited ‘97 4Runner SR5
    RECAP: As I said earlier, I have had 2 different sets of tires on the truck (the stock Goodyears and currently Falken Wildpeaks) at tire pressures between 30-40 PSI, and it doesn’t have an effect on this. That’s why I strongly feel it’s a suspension thing. I wouldn’t even call it an “issue”. I believe it’s how the OR just is. I’m mainly wondering if TRD Sports or SR5s have this same issue, because if they don’t, I may swap my rear shocks out to the Hitachis if that’s what they are more tuned for. I just don’t know for sure if that’s the case with those shocks or not. I hope to hear more feedback from SR5 or Sport owners, especially from SoCal, to see if they also are feeling what I’m feeling or not.

I know the vibration isn’t a tire balance or driveline issue either, the vibes are coming from the uneven road seams every 5 or 10 ft. on particular stretches of particular SoCal freeways, and how the suspension is handling them harshly (compared to other Toyota pickups I’ve owned). On smoothly paved roads, the vibes aren’t there at any speed because there aren’t any seams in the road. So the truck rides very smooth on smooth roads. The “jackhammer” feeling is a very quick bouncing effect of the suspension not being able to effectively soak up the road seams at medium to high speeds. It feels a lot like a mildly washboarded dirt road on those sections of certain freeways, and I’ve never felt that quite like this before in any other vehicle.

The only thing that reduces it is adding 200-300 lbs. over the rear axle to dampen the vibes. So now I’m mostly wanting to know if stiffer shocks, or maybe even stiffer leafs would help (or would they possibly even make it worse by transferring even more bouncy vibrations to the cab)? I’d be totally willing to spend a few hundred on those parts to make a $40K new truck not do this, if that would help as much as adding the extra weight has. I definitely don’t want my bed full of heavy stuff that I need to move out of the way every time I want to do pickup stuff, or haul extra weight when I drive up a mountain several times a week for work and kill my power and mpgs.

The bouncy freeway vibes aren’t really that big of a deal in the scheme of things, and it doesn’t make me dislike the truck at all. I know it’s a truck and I LOVE this thing. But If I could spend a couple hundred bucks on shocks or something that would reduce these vibes, I’d just love it that much more.

Willys714 likes this.
  6. Feb 23, 2021 at 12:10 AM
    philth

philth .

Member:
    My ‘21 OR with just over 2k kms is fine. I drive rural Northern Ontario and in Quebec; where the roads are so bad you feel like you’re on a logging road while on major hwys. I’ve also battered it off road already as well.

You’re also comparing suspension from your previous vehicles which was worn in (possibly worn out) with a brand new set-up.
    Go test drive a Sport on this patch of road to make sure it’s not gonna do the same thing.
    Either this is all in your head and you have unrealistic expectations of the truck; or you bought the wrong spec truck for your needs. Did you test drive the OR and the Sport back to back before purchasing?

To add; You’re expecting answers to something that is purely subjective. Whatever it is that’s bothering you may not be an issue for someone else so they may not feel/notice the same thing. Some of this is also attributed to expectations of the characteristics of the vehicle.
    As stated; test drive an SR5 and a Sport in the area that is bothering you. It’s the only way that YOU will know for sure.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    shakerhood likes this.
  7. Feb 23, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    GlenPxC

GlenPxC Active Member

Member:
    Saint Louis, MO
    The OR rides very bouncy due to the shocks. I even had a dealer tell me one time he thought my shocks were worn out because the suspension was very "squishy". Before the taco I had a Jeep Rubicon with the red off road shocks and it rode similar. When I put bigger tires on the jeep I upgraded the suspension to bilstein 5100s which helped stiffen up the ride a bit. I also had an F150 that had a bouncy rear end. I put bilstein 5100s on just the rear and it was a big improvement. The rear shocks on the taco are very easy to replace and not super expensive. My advice would be to start there with an upgraded shock. If the ride quality improves then you might want to consider the fronts as well. Then sell your stock OR suspension, I've seen a like new set going for a couple hundred on craigslist/marketplace. Every truck type vehicle I have driven has had a rough ride and bounces with expansion joints. The ride will never be like a car or suv. When I drive my wife's car I feel like I'm riding on a cloud, but I can't haul stuff with her car and it wont go offroad to the middle of the forest or the top of a mountain. It's all a trade off.

8. Feb 23, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    Mace27

Mace27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD OR
    Just a thought and not sure if it will fix this but i have ran into the issue of the factory over tightening the leaf spring bolts, not the u-bolts but the leaf to shackle, shackle to frame and leaf eye to frame. Quick and easy to loosen all those then torque back to spec. i believe it was ford trucks, the bolts were so tight that they held the spring from moving.

brian2sun[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 23, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    I thought my initial tire pressure was high with the firestones being around 35 lbs in the hot summer, before changing to the goodyear a/t's that i set at 30. All i know it rides really smooth like a car when i add some trailer tongue weight.

shakerhood likes this.
  10. Feb 23, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    Willys714

Willys714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VVAZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCLB Silver
    I have the same issue with the rear of my truck kicking over the concrete sections of the I-5 in Orange County.
    I have an OR long bed and thought I suffered alone until reading this thread. I have watched other Tacoma’s (lots here) and didn’t see their rear wheels skittering over the sections so I assumed it was long bed specific.
    Very interested in the solution,It’s annoying as hell, when you talk it puts a trucker stutter in your voice.

11. Feb 23, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Jim1946

Jim1946 2020 TRD Sport 4X4

Member:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport 4X4
    I don’t think it’s a problem with your truck especially, when it’s this particular section of road. It may be a function of harmonics. The distance between expansion joints versus the speed of your truck. Have you tried varying your speed? Maybe change lanes on that section of road.

12. Feb 23, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    brian2sun

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    I researched a bit today and found the part # for the 2021 Limited 4x4 DCSB rear shocks, and I ordered a set for $95.75 shipped from a Toyota dealer back East who had the best price on them. My theory is that the people who buy Limited Tacomas are not buying them to off road specifically, but more that they want a nicer, more luxurious version of this pickup. I’m sure Toyota makes this trim level ride the smoothest and most plush of all the models of Tacoma. It’s also my understanding that all trim levels of Tacomas (except the TRD Pro) come with the same springs, so the shocks are the only variable that is different between the different trims, as far as ride quality goes. I’m positive the jackhammer issue I’m feeling is only in the ass end of the truck (as adding more weight back there reduced the vibes significantly for me yesterday), and not the front at all.

So trying out these shocks for <$100 is worth the experiment... if they work out, great. I’ll sell my OR shocks and recoup most of that $$. If they don’t make a difference, I re-sell the Limited shocks as barely used and recoup most of the $$. I will update the thread when I get them on the truck hopefully by next week.

Vmax540 and Willys714[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Feb 23, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    Willys714

Willys714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VVAZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCLB Silver
    Yep it’s the road that is causing the bucking but It’s not just that section of highway, i get another real dose of it going to Phoenix.
    Looking forward to Brian’s shock swap as There has to be a solution, my old ‘02 Tundra didn’t buck in the 18 yrs I drove over the same terrible roads.

14. Feb 23, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    brian2sun

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    I'll definitely keep you posted. BTW, the same Limited shocks I got for my short bed are also used on the long bed, so I can give you the info for them if you like.

Willys714[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 23, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    Jowett

Jowett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Adams, MA
    The frame design is the culprit... it's a wet noodle. Bracing the rear shackle hangers helps a bit, after that it will get expensive.

16. Feb 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    Vmax540

Vmax540 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Clarion PA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4X4 Access Cab Blue
    Link for the dealer and part number ? Keep us updated on results. Thank you !

17. Feb 23, 2021 at 5:09 PM
    jimmerheck

jimmerheck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Limited in white
    I think these trucks are heavy in the front and light in the rear. I run my tires at 35 front and 29 rear. Dont know if you want to experiment any more with tire pressures though...

18. Feb 23, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    brian2sun

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Here’s the link. I found a listing on ebay of someone selling take-offs from a 2021 Limited 4x4 and I got the part number directly from the Hitachi shock (48530-04131). I searched this site (McGeorge Toyota, which I have used before because they have the best prices on OEM parts I’ve found) and it came up as a superseded part #48530-8Z078, but it does list the other part # in the description. But to make sure, I called McGeorge Toyota and I confirmed with a parts guy that these 2 part #s are the same shock, and they are for a Limited 4x4 double cab (short and long bed).

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-shock-absorber-485308z078

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Vmax540[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    Doggman

Doggman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MT
    I know what you are experiencing and you've already figured out what it is. The rear is over sprung because it's designed to haul/tow stuff. This results in a rear end suspension that doesn't cycle for small bumps when unloaded. It's really just the nature of an unloaded truck. Your options are

Load the rear.
    Replace the leaf springs with lighter/better articulating ones. Deaver J66 perhaps.
    Get adjustable rear shocks and dial down the compression.

All those come with prices and compromises though so gotta figure out how much of an issue it is for you.

Also, regarding the limited shocks, I'm pretty sure they are the same hitachi's that come on SR5's. Something in between the OR and Sports in terms of stiffness if I recall correctly. You don't want stiffer in this case I don't think. You'd probably hate a sport on the same roads you're driving.

Vmax540 likes this.
  20. Feb 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    brian2sun

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, you may be right, but I figure it couldn’t hurt to get a shock that dampens better. I confirmed the Limited rear shocks have their own different part # from all the other trims. They are also black Hitachis, not blue like the SR5 and Sport shocks. I can’t imagine Toyota would let the Limited handle this way, being the luxury model (and it doesn’t appear they have different leaf springs than the other trims). But ya never know.

Products Discussed in

To Top