1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Selecting a foundation Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by troy28, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    troy28

troy28 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capitol of Salty Roads
    Need help
    I am finally able to begin my Tacoma project. I have often visited but never posted till now because I could not offer personal experience. I would like to begin finding my foundation Tacoma to begin building personal experience to give back.

What I am asking for is guidance on what foundation model Tacoma's should I be looking at to purchase??????

I get all 4 seasons but relatively mild for all of them. I would like to build a truck that I know I can drive though a good 2ft of snow and never have to worry. Drive off road through some muddy fields (not mud puddles halfway up the truck) medium inclines no problem. I am the guy that will put on the biggest quality wench not cause intend to use it but if I need it I want it done right.

Manual or Automatic (one better than the other for my application), 4WD, Locking Diff, V6, at least an access cab like double but do still want a bed for hauling stuff, and target of $10k - $15k or less to purchase my starting foundation. Budget can fluctuate based on what is already done.

I will be lifting it, exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, good wheels, bumper with built in winch and extra lighting, skid plates, suspension.

What years should and models should I be searching for to get started? Any years to avoid?

Thank you!!

2. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    07. Last year before they put in VSC. Get an sr5 and purchase an ARB locker after market.

3. Dec 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    troy28

Member:
    Capitol of Salty Roads
    Need help
    Thank you for the info! If I were to target a model year range would it 04 to 07 then?

What is typically included in the SR5 package?

4. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    07. :p

Power windows, power locks, air conditioning etc. But you get a bigger ring gear in the back versus the Offroad with it's factory locker. Just something to keep in mind, which is why I suggested going with an ARB aftermarket. Much stronger.

5. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:27 AM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    youll never find an 2007 access cab 4x4 for 10-15K for that price id recommend a 2005-2006 4x4 access cab. Off road package. youll probably be looking at higher milage like around 80-120K which isnt bad at all for these trucks.

6. Dec 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    troy28

Member:
    Capitol of Salty Roads
    Need help
    This is getting harder than it looks to find. If I throw out budget for now and look for best foundation to build off I am liking the 2007 4x4 double cab long bed automatic. However, none seem to be close so I have to call and get info but no one seems to know what they are selling ....? So I must educate myself better.

It was mentioned the 07 will have a bigger ring gear. Will the double cab automatic long bed still have this bigger ring gear?

In pictures to the left of the steering wheel there seem to be a number of blanks for switches. Some seem to have a few factory switches some have none. I know one of them is for the outlet in the bed. One appears to be marked RSCA off but some trucks do not have this button. I assume I will need that if I plan to be on angles and would not like to have my air bags going off?

What other switches should I look to be installed?

What else should I look for on the vehicle to make sure it has such as differential information lock/LSD....?

As always price seems to being up so I want to be extra cautions to make the right purchase. Thank you for your help!

7. Dec 9, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    A stock 4x4 Tacoma will do all those things you listed

To Top