1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help settle an argument with my wife? Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by toku58, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Dose food spoil faster, if refrigerated hot?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2010.
  1. It is better to allow food to cool prior to refridgeration

33 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Faster you cool it the better!

80 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. Sep 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I would think the faster you get the temperature down the better. Allowing the food to set out warm the more likely it is for bacteria to start growing on it.
    Oh and you are not gonna win this war! Better throw in the towel and retreat to the man cave for some cold beer!

2. Sep 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    X2

3. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Your wife may very well be the most intelligent one on here. Buy her some flowers, tell her she's right, and tell her you won't make this mistake again (with a straight face).

4. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Trachito

Trachito Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    you're right and not getting laid tonight.

5. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    How To Use Leftovers Safely
    Following information is from A Rutgers Cooperative Extension Fact Sheet</SPAN>
    Leftover" foods are cooked foods that you or your family do not eat within 2 hours after they are cooked. Leftovers include foods that you may eat before or after they have been stored in the refrigerator or freezer. The chance of food poisoning increases the longer you store a food after it is cooked. Improper handling or storing cooked food is one of the most common causes of food poisoning in the home.
    The careful cook can reduce this threat by following the guidelines below for storing, reheating, and disposing of leftover [COLOR=brown! important][COLOR=brown! important]foods[/COLOR][/COLOR].

How To Storing Leftovers
    All cooked foods should be reheated to 165° F, refrigerated, or frozen within 2 hours after [COLOR=brown! important][COLOR=brown! important]cooking[/COLOR].[/COLOR] In hot weather, that time limit is only 1 hour. Remember that the "safe" period starts after the food is cooked. It includes the time that the food sits before being served and the time it sits on the table while the [COLOR=brown! important][COLOR=brown! important]meal[/COLOR][/COLOR] is being eaten. This period lasts until the food is actually in the refrigerator or freezer.
    Remember to wash your hands with soap and water before handling any cooked food, especially food you store to eat later. Use clean utensils to handle the food, and store it in clean containers. Do not put food back into the same container it was in before it was cooked, unless you have carefully cleaned the container with soap and water. Do not place food on a counter or [COLOR=brown! important][COLOR=brown! important]cutting [COLOR=brown! important]board[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] before refrigerating or freezing, unless you have carefully cleaned the surface beforehand.
    You should place foods to be refrigerated or frozen in small, shallow containers, 3 inches tall or less, and cover them completely. Don't stack these containers right next to other containers, but leave some air space around them. By using shallow containers and by leaving air space around the containers you can promote rapid, even cooling of the food. When you refrigerate or freeze cooked food in a large, deep container, the food in the center of the container remains warm for a longer time. Dangerous bacteria may grow in this warm spot without making the food look or smell bad. If you eat this food later, you may get food poisoning.
    Never taste leftovers that are of questionable age or safety.
    As a general rule, never keep leftovers for more than 4 days.
    Remember to remove the stuffing from cooked poultry and refrigerate or freeze it separately. You should do this because the stuffing in the center of the bird can stay warm long enough for food poisoning bacteria to grow. By removing the stuffing and placing it in its own container, you allow it to cool more rapidly.
    If you date leftovers before refrigerating them, this can help you ensure they don't remain in your refrigerator too long.
    Warming Leftover Foods When leftover foods are reheated, make sure you heat them completely. Leftovers that are merely "warmed" and not heated throughout are much more likely to cause food poisoning. Cover any leftover [COLOR=brown! important][COLOR=brown! important]sauces[/COLOR][/COLOR], soups, gravies, and other "wet" foods, and heat them to a rolling boil before they are served. Heat all other foods to 165° F throughout. Be sure to stir foods while you reheat them, to ensure that all the food reaches the appropriate temperature.
    Throwing Away Leftovers
    When leftovers have been in the refrigerator too long or if they look or smell unusual, throw them out! Anytime you are in doubt about the freshness or safety of any food, dispose of it. This is especially important for leftover foods. Dispose of any potentially unsafe food in a garbage disposal or a tightly wrapped package, so that it cannot be eaten by other people or animals.
    If you follow these suggestions for handling leftover foods safely, you will improve the safety of your family's food. Food poisoning is a preventable tragedy, and you can prevent it by following these simple guidelines for handling leftovers safely.

6. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    bacteria thrives between 41F and 140F (known as the danger zone, in Sanitation) therefore you should minimize the time it is spent in between those numbers. If you're not eating it... it should be cooking or in the Fridge, especially for animal products (milk, meat, eggs, cheese)

I've ran Navy Galleys (restaurants) and this is a fact! Make sure food never stays more than an hour in the zone. The longer it stays the more bacteria grows

7. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    metric310

metric310 street taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Alejandro
    clinton, ut
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner lifted, bumping loud
    3' lift, 10 inch subs, custom TRD sticker, BHLM, leather arm mod, pioneer avic 700 stereo, 5% tint all around
    When I argue with my girl, I usually win with the backhand...........

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    not sure if letting it cool has anything to do with how long before it spoils. but usually if i pull something out of the oven or off the stovetop ill let it cool down before putting a 400 degree pan on a near freezing glass shelf :)

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    toku58

toku58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    I assume you're single?:rolleyes:LOL!!!

10. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    I would have to say she's right. Food does spoil if you put it in the fridge while hot.

11. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    :rofl:

12. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    STR8_BEAST

STR8_BEAST Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    whoa whoa whoa, the real question is why isn't she cooking right now?

13. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Congratulations on the win Toku!!!! I have argued with my wife over this same topic. never thought to seek advice here but again TW comes through with the win! I am so throwing this in my wife's face (and then paying for it later but definitely worth the pain)

14. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    paulbunyan

paulbunyan Well-Known Member

Member:
    just make me a sandwich

15. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Bu11etWhisperer My Taco is Blue!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner, SR5, TRD Sport, Speedway Blue
    :popcorn:RALMAO...This is great!!!:popcorn:

16. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    Bu11etWhisperer

Bu11etWhisperer My Taco is Blue!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Douglasville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner, SR5, TRD Sport, Speedway Blue
    If I am wrong I will admit it, if she is wrong she admits it. One of those things we settled before we got married...

17. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Wow I can't believe this is still going on! It's actually a pretty complex subject. Microbiology is a tricky thing.

18. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My thoughts exactly.

I'll let things cool down enough so that I can put it in a tupperware container. And even after doing that, making sure its cooled down enough so I can put the air-tight lid on it. Otherwise, if you do it too soon - the lid pops off from the pressure.

19. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    X2.

I'm not sure about bacteria on food, but with me, I like to let it cool down in the Microwave (keep fly's off, keep it clean), and then put in a container. The reason why I let it cool down is to help prevent moisture and prevent the food from being soggy. Maybe I ought to get these breathable containers.

To me, I'm not too concerned about it, because no matter what you do, everything we eat will have bacteria on it, even food from factories.
    Just make sure to wash your hands before making it, put it on something clean, don't let fly's land on it or people sneeze on it, and wash your hands before eating. You'll be fine......

20. Sep 17, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yeah I had this same discusion with my significant other & settled it,

& we both agreed, I'm wrong !!!:D:D

Products Discussed in

To Top