1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!! SHOULD I BUY THIS 06 TACOMA TRD 4x4 ACCESS W/TOW PACKAGE??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoNoire, Jan 27, 2012.

?

What do you recommend I do?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2012.
  1. Buy it!

17 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Don't buy it.

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Keep looking.

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. Forget looking for a used one and just buy a new tacoma.

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Jan 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    Honestly there are a lot of tacoma users that beat up their rigs on the trails.
    Yes the vehicle has been probably worked hard, but so what. Toyota tacomas
    are quality vehicles and for a good price it is worth it.
    The only thing I would say is that they should fix the windshield and get a
    confirmed diagnosis for the airbag light. That could potentially be costly if
    the tech was wrong on his initial assumption.
    Cosmetic stuff should not keep you from buying the truck, since that stuff is
    easy to fix.

2. Jan 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i think the price is pretty good..in that range, trucks tend to get rough..

with a good solid scrub down, i bet it can look pretty good. i would budget to fix the body damage.

i am a solid MAYBE. see what the mechanic says..

3. Jan 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I would never buy a car just because its a Toyota or other company such as Honda with good reputation. If the previous driver(s) abused it, it will have problems despite being a Toyota.

My girlfriend just got a Honda civic with 105k on it and now its going through some major engine issues that costing her a pretty penny.

I do agree with getting a confirmed diagnoses of the lights that are on and as someone else mentioned I would have the owner pay for it and if everything check out on the truck reimburse them when you buy it.

I would pass on it and find another one, something will come up. The hardest part of looking for a used car is finding the right one. This is a work truck whose purpose was to "work". Personally I wouldn't chance it.

4. Jan 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    This was Posted earlier,if you like blue this looks like a good deal and it is dealer inspected. You can take it out and drive it right away and not have to do all the work you are talking about to get the work truck up to par

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    TacoNoire

TacoNoire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    @FocoTacoma Thanks for the deals man! I'm calling them tomorrow.

6. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    just buy it. you will learn alot about the vehical if u spend your time fixing it up. idk man, i bought used, with plently more miles and im happyer than a pig in shit

7. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If they have all the maintenance records for schedule maintenance recommended in the owner's manual from the time it was new, I would buy it. That's a big deal.

If you're okay with the repairs it needs, sounds like a decent deal for the price range you have to work with.

As far as work trucks, it really depends on the guy who drove it. I'm a car guy, and I admit I don't baby my company truck, but I don't abuse it either. The tailgate being dented and the interior being dirty is just how it is for a Tacoma work truck. The tailgates are really easy to damage because they are so light. And after awhile you give up trying to keep a cloth interior clean while working out of it doing a dirty job and running your ass off trying to make money. Actually, I'm just impressed that they got it in the shop often enough to get the maintenance done.

Pay a fair price for it and be realistic about what a 100K truck is and I think you'll be happy with it. Our fleet of Tacomas at work routinely go 150K-200K miles with nothing more than oil and filter changes, plugs when it's running bad, brakes, tires, shocks as needed. The automatics get serviced when the boss feels like it, the sticks never get touched, the rear ends don't get touched. Sounds like this one is well looked after for a work truck.

8. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad
    seems like a fair deal. i bet that the 4x4 probably has never been used since it was only used for work. you can also buy a tail gate for cheap online that is already the same color.plus it was always maintained so thats a plus.

9. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    That is a much better looking truck for the money. I am always way more concerned with condition and how well a used car has been maintained than how many miles it has in it. I'd much rather drive a truck that has been babied for 125k than one that has been thrashed for 75k.

10. Jan 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    All of these look to be better deals the last one that someone posted with dbl cab for the same price is probably best though they seem to hold value better so for 16k and less than 100k miles that's not bad at all.

11. Jan 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    Thanks everybody the feedback, it is invaluable and will save me a lot of frustration in the end. I'm wary of this work truck. I think the air bag light could be the deal breaker, also the low pressure light is on and that is another possible $300 fix. I may require him to fix the air bag light b/c it is a safety issue and could end up costing a lot to fix.

I may come out with one of the deals focotacoma listed. I'd rather have a truck that has been taken care then to have to go through all the time and effort to restore a work truck that may pose potential problems down the line, and on top of that white is probably my least favorite color

12. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    tacos

tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    05 A/C Off Road 4x4
    BHLM,5100's set 2.5,Toytec 2" aal,FJ TRD wheels,AFE pro-dry, Duratracs
    How was the paint on it? The white loses its gloss if its not cared for. My white is ok because i wax regularly but my buddy's whit is almost matte on the front bumper hold and fenders. Everything even fingerprints get soaked into the paint.

13. Jan 28, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    Thanks but I needs a V6...I found a 2005 TRD 4x4 Access 72k miles for $16,500...will try to bring down to $14k cash, if not max $15k. ITS CLEAN!
    Yeah forget the white work bucket truck. I have a bad feeling I would be having a lot of headaches with the truck. I got a few bargains I'm going to work this morning. Quick Cash is king and tends to get people to bring down there price.

14. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    I've made a final decision to buy the new 2012 tacoma at the end of this year. I'm not going to waste my money on a shit bucket or someone else's problems. I'm just going to save up some more and pay cash for the new truck. I normally don't believe in buying a new car and usually buy a car that is two years old to avoid a loss but these trucks hold their value so well and highly sought after that I will buy the new 2012 tacoma. At the end of the year I should get a deal or I may even get a 2013 at the end of this year. Also, the great part about it I can get my fav color black so I can murder the truck out.

Here are the figures just at dealer cost with the options I want from truecarvalue.com:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jan 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

The Double Cab I posted was a V-6. I didnt post the 4 banger because i didnt think you would be interested.

2009 access cab 4 banger 59 k 15999... I wouldnt heesitate buying a 4 banger for the money.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&seller_type=b&cardist=62&standard=false

Good Luck, It appears from what everyone has posted there may be some better deals out there, unfortunatly they are not in your back yard. On this white truck you posted, was he a independent electrician? Its possible he may have only had one or two drivers on it.

16. Jan 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    Thanks for the suggestion but I've made up mind to get a new one. I would never get a v4, there is no real incentive to get one b/c you don't really save all that much gas and the V6 gives you the option for much better towing power.

AS far as the work truck, it belongs to a electrical company and I'm sure many drivers had their way with the truck and turned it out.

17. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    After looking at the info the OP posted I would pass on this. I look at a work vehicle like a rental car, most people don't drive like it their everyday vehicles. I know that when I drive a rental car I don't drive it like I drive my Tacoma. I'd be concerned about the airbag light and the damage. Yeah! It's a good deal but I'm sure that the miles that are on it are hard miles. You more than likely had more than just the owner driving it. So different people means different driving styles. You know, it's not their vehicle so they aren't going to drive it like their own personal vehicle.
    If I was you I would pass and keep looking. Yeah! It's going to be a bit of a trek to look for a second generation, but you will find one. If by the off chance you're not able to find a 2nd Gen, maybe a 3rd generation new would be a good idea. That's just my 2 cents.

18. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md

You wont regret it.

FYI THere are deals to be found, you should keep looking in the meantime. eg: I bough my 08 ACC 4x4 TRD sport w. tow package in 2010 with 10Kmiles on it from Carmax for $21k. I couldn't pass it up. The Chevy dealer up the road had on 07 with 75K miles for $22k. Keep looking and you may find a good used Taco in you color and options and save a boat load of cash.

19. Jan 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    TacoNoire

Member:
    أينما كن
    Vehicle:
    يتضمن ك
    Coming soon....
    I agree, I will continue to look but a new rig that is perfection sounds enticing. I must say you got one helluva sweet deal on your 08 taco. Shoot I saw a 2006 going for $20k on Ebay, which is ridiculous, but I guess there is a sucker born everyday. lol

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top