1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help: Suspension Making Noises (with video)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rogerkamp8817, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Feb 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    rogerkamp8817

rogerkamp8817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota TRD Off-Road 4x4, AC, Superwhite
    Just got the truck back from the dealership. They said that the axle movement is normal. They are saying it is the aftermarket suspension that is making the noise.

While waiting for my truck, i crawled under a new FJ Cruiser 4x4 and checked the axle. It does have some movement in it like mine, but not as much. I was surprised that there was movement and that it wasn't completely solid like I expected.

Can someone with a 2nd gen grab the inner CV of their front axle and see if there's movement to confirm?

I just checked the torque of the 1 foot long upper control arm bolt again and it is at 85.0. I'm starting to suspect that it might be the lower control arm bushings again. I may end up getting an aftermarket lower control arm but I'm not looking forward to the bill.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Feb 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    I'm a Tacoma noob, but have you checked that there's no play in the sway bar end links?

3. Feb 24, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    rogerkamp8817

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I have gone as far as removing the sway bar and the end links completely.

4. Feb 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    rogerkamp8817

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I took it to another shop. The mechanic went over everything he could to try and find the noise. he couldn't replicate it while the truck was on the lift but can hear it when he drove it over speed bumps. He's saying the axle movement is normal and the LCA bushings look fine.

He's thinking that the noise is coming from within the shocks. He speculates that it may be low on nitrogen. I called a few local shops to get the shocks topped off with nitrogen, but I'm finding this hard because of the higher pressure and the special tools required to fill them. I spoke to Icon directly and they referred me to another shop because they can't work on the shock attached to my truck. They require me to remove the shock so they can check it out.

5. Mar 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    rogerkamp8817

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The noise is now gone (knock on wood).

I had the factory lower control arms replaced with Dirt King Fabrication stock length lower arms. Apparently the lower control arm bushings (alignment bolts) were seized. The truck only has about 57k miles and I do most of my driving on the street (very little offroading). I'm surprised the bolts seized this soon. I do live pretty close to the beach, this probably contributed to the accelerated rusting/corrosion of the lower control arm bolts.

The guys at Dirt King were super helpful. They came in on the weekend to work on my truck and were very knowledgeable. I highly recommend them to anyone looking to do any suspension work or need parts.

2014-03-16 17.15.15.jpg
    2014-03-16 17.16.21.jpg

6. Mar 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    MagnumTaco

MagnumTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    New Mexico
    Supercharger, Baja Suspension, TRD exhuast, Stealth pulley.
    congrats.

Products Discussed in

To Top