1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Tekonsha P3 issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BOONDOCKSAINT, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Dec 12, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    BOONDOCKSAINT

BOONDOCKSAINT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    WHITE 2016 DC OFF ROAD 4X4
    Pioneer 400w amp Infinity Reference Ref 6x9 (front doors) Infinity Reference Ref 6 1/2(rear doors) Kicker HS 8" hideaway
    @Lawfarin would that also fix the “trailer not connected” ?
    I’m obviously learning as I go here, but with all the is working and testing out correct I don’t see how it doesn’t detect the trailer:frusty:

2. Dec 12, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    newdles

newdles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Achmed
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off- road
    My experience is everything works as should but the brakes are intermittent. Then you’ll see a red screen on the controller that says not connected or whatever. Can’t remember the exact words. This is often a short in the wire on the brakes on the trailer or a bad magnet for the electric brakes. You can test the wire easily by cutting the wire where it goes into the axle and run a new wire outside the axle housing to the brakes. If the problem goes away it’s instant fix.

If the problem persists it’s likely bad magnet. They typically don’t fail for many many miles but at times they do fail. At that time lots of people by the preassembled brake housing and all with new magnet and just plug and play and reconnect the wiring.

My tekonsha works flawless but had similar issue you are mentioning and that’s what I did to trouble shoot and turned Out to be the wire in brake axle housing. Easy fix.

3. Dec 12, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    Possibly. It could be a poor connection at the plug or open connection on the trailer. Double check the wiring and grounds. Clean the contacts and pack the female trailer side with dielectric grease. Then take a rag and wipe the excess off. A lot of times that will fix some of the issues.

4. Dec 12, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    BOONDOCKSAINT

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer 400w amp Infinity Reference Ref 6x9 (front doors) Infinity Reference Ref 6 1/2(rear doors) Kicker HS 8" hideaway
    Thanks so much @newdles I will give that a try in the next few days.

5. Dec 12, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    If unplugging the brake controller unlocks your trailer brakes then I tend to think the the wiring on both the truck and trailer is OK as well. If this is the connector directly into the back of the P3 then it’s not a brake controller harness problem either.

I have a P3 in my Tundra, and it’s the best brake controller I’ve ever used. They have a good reputation for a reason, and as you say, two units with the identical issue seems unlikely. But that does give another idea.

Have you read the P3 manual and set the controller for electric brakes, as opposed to (electric over) hydraulic? And mounted the controller in the direction of travel as shown in the manual?

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/content/downloads/installation/N39526.pdf

Lastly, if all else fails, find a good automotive electrical shop to diagnose the issue before dumping the truck and/or camper over it. It will cost FAR less.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    BOONDOCKSAINT[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 12, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    BOONDOCKSAINT

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @landphil Ill give everything another go through, but I figure I’m heading to a local electric shop to see what’s going on.

Im just kidding about getting rid of the truck or camper love my Toyota , but it has definitely been an exercise in patience :D

I watched the TacoRico video and did the installation

landphil likes this.
  7. Nov 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    DGMOORE78

DGMOORE78 New Member

Member:
    Any updates on this? I have the exact same issue with my rig! Thanks in advance!

8. May 12, 2023 at 7:19 PM
    Taco1004

Taco1004 Boats Hoes and Fishy Tacos!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WestMonster, MD
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 TRD-S
    Yakima roof basket Yakima bike rack (x2) K&N intake kit K&N throttle module AFE Silver Bullet TB spacer MBRP stainless off-road exhaust SpiderTrax spacers Enkei RPT1’s 18x9-0 offset CBI front bumper CBI Overland Bed Bars TRD Pro front skid TRD Pro shift knob TufSkinz carbon trim everywhere MESO trim kit MESO MOLLE rack MESO Stage 1 Tails MESO side markers Diode Dynamics fogs Kicker tweeters JL Audio Stealth 10” sub JL Audio 300w amp Eibach 2.0 Pro front coils Eibach rear shocks SuperLift billet 1.5” rear blocks Camburg UCA’s ECGS Mountain Hatch tailgate panel AVS taillight covers AVS slim window visors AVS slim hood visor Morimoto LB and HB LED’s MaxTrax MK2 recovery boards Hi-Lift jack Custom surf fishing mount GTS headlight lenses RIPP coil packs Taco Troopers wrap
    Same issue as well… minus the brakes locking up. Have lights and same screen reading, trailer not detected.

Any updates?

Brand new boat trailer, just brought it home today.

Products Discussed in

To Top