1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Timing Belt Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jj28west, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    jj28west

jj28west [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Newbie here,

I have a 2001 Tacoma 2.7L V4 cylinder truck that just hit 100,000 miles.

My question is what items are up for changeover?

1) Timing belt?

2) Water Pump?

3) Tensioner?

4) Other?

Also I am in central connecticut. Any clue to what an approx cost would be to changeover timing belt & water pump & tensioner?

I have tried to do some research which is conflicting that those three items should be changed all at once.

I can not find an online a manual that would tell me all this so sorry for all the questions. :)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

john

2. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Loudon, Tn
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4X4, 5 spd, 2.7 ltr
    Deck plate mod, intake silencer removed, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, debadged, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75R16. Flowmaster knock-off muffler!
    ur 2.7 has a timing chain. the same as mine, i have 209k almost on my taco & have replaced anything like that yet, thinking i will be changing the belt tensioner soon!

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    The 2.7 is an L4, not a V4. It also does not have a timing belt, it has two timing chains. I wouldn't replace those at 100k, and unless you're doing it yourself you'd pay out the a$$ to get it replaced. A new water pump wouldn't be a bad idea, it's cheap insurance and you wouldn't have to worry about it later. And tensioner to what?

4. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    jj28west

jj28west [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Wow!,

Thanks for the quick replies. I apologize my knowledge is weak basically because there is never anything wrong with the truck.

The term tensioner was something I picked up in a forum while gooling timing belt change.

My understanding then is my truck has two timing chains and this is something that I may never have to change unless it acts up. Correct?

I will go with your advice and do the water pump.

Is there anything else I may have missed? I am also going to change the transmission fluid which I was told does not take any special fluid.

I appreciate the help!

Damn, I wish I knew about places like this when I was replacing my air fuel sensor because a light went on. I went to a Toyota Service Center and paid almost $500 to do this!

LONG LIVE TACOMA WORLD!

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    Timing chain - you could say that.

The 2.7 doesn't really have a tensioner like most you see. Or like most I've seen anyway. I don't really know how to explain it, although it may seem complicated it's not at all. If you look at the center of your motor, it should be to the right of the dipstick and to the left of the power steering pump. On the cylinder head there is a bracket with 3 screws? On that bracket there is a pulley type deal with a long screw that holds the pulley on the bracket. To take the belt off, you would first loosen the screw that threads INTO the pulley, then you would loosen the long screw that holds the pulley to the bracket. That takes the tension off the belt and then you're done.

I didn't mean to make that so long, sorry. Hopefully that helps ya!

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    ScienceofSpeed

ScienceofSpeed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FFEJ
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 double cab 4x4 trd limited
    grey wire mod, disable drl, diff breather relocation, transmission cooler, deckplate mod, powerslot rotors, hawk HPS brake pads, steel braided brake lines, NGK Iridium plugs & wires, TRD headers, snugtop camper, husky floormats, OME 881, OME HD leafs, OME nitro sport shocks, TRD supercharger, non-turbo supra injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, URD 2.2 S/C pulley, AEM fic, One off all stainless 2 1/2 inch custom exhaust
    At that mileage if it hasn't been done already I would suggest:

Drain and fill on all fluids (transmission, differentials, coolant, transfer case if 4x4, and oil.)

And then a water pump, valve adjust, spark plugs, upper and lower radiator hoses, grease drive shafts and ball joints and that should keep it going for a while.

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    x2

8. Nov 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    jj28west

jj28west [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Guys,

Thanks for the help and not being condenscending to an obvious amateur like myself. Just trying to take care of a truck that has been good to me and would like to get another century mark if possible while saving a couple bucks if I can!

9. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    jj28west

jj28west [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Mods,
    I dont know what you prefer....new threads or rectify old threads.

Team Tacoma,

I got asked if I should change my serpetine differential belt?

They also showed me a long list of items I am due for.

I am up to 120K. Its all highway.

I do the routine air filter & oil change & tire/battery changes

Thanks!

10. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Serpentine differential?

No such thing.

The serpentine belt is your fan belt, and yes, it should be changed.
    The belt tensioner might be going, but access is easy and if it's not making noise and the belt doesn't seem to be jumping when the engine is running, it's fine.

Differential fluid should probably be changed.

11. Dec 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    jj28west

jj28west [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    thanks for the info Rich.

Products Discussed in

To Top