1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help w/ LIFT decision...please

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tbird, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    Tbird

Tbird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    I know I'm poking the beast with this question as there are hundreds of similar threads asking basically the same question. But the more I read...the less uncertain I am with every "decision" I make and then un-make. I think I need folks to address MY specific questions/wants to help me with this.

I have an 05' Sport Access cab. I've bought 16" rims to replace the stock 17" (I am in bad need of new tires anyway). I'll be putting larger tires on so it's LIFT time for my truck. I've been researching on this site for months. I know nearly everything there is to know about Tacoma lifts. I have all the info and don't know what to do with it. I can't tell you how many build threads I am following!

So given these criteria below...which kind of lift would you recommend for me. Not sure if I should go w/ a coil lift or coilovers. I don't want a rough ride or vibes.

1) 3" of lift...no more wanted.
    2) #1 requirement is to preserve or enhance highway ride quality.
    3) I'm willing to spend $$$ money to get good equipment...but don't want to install way more ability than I'll use.
    4) I know I want Total Chaos UCAs.
    4) I really want to get it right the first time.
    5) I don't need huge clearance or travel.
    6) Leaning toward adjustable coilovers for the front.
    7) Considering: ICON, King, Fox, Bilstien.
    8) Rear will proabably be leaf pack not just aal (which one do you like).
    9) Where should I get what you suggest?

I don't wheel just to wheel; I wheel to get to places to hike/camp/etc. But I do this regularly and it is remote, I'm alone, and sometimes it's pretty tough. I want good stuff off-road that rides very nicely on the highway. I drive a 70/30 higway/off-road split. I have to drive 100-200 mi. of highway to get to the places that I get off-road. I know this is a tired subject, but I'll be deeply appreciative of your insights and experiences.

Thanks!!!

2. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    but i'm interested to see what people suggest since it sounds like you're looking for almost exactly what i'll be looking for in a few months when i wear out my tires

3. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    I have Icons front and rear with the Camburg bj uca. I love the ride. However, it is somewhat rough for others. From what I have read, other seem to say that the Fox's and King's ride better on road. Just remember that with the coilover lift, you are still pre loading the spring, therefore making it a little stiffer as you continue to increase your lift. You may want to look at the Sway Away 2.0" adjustable coilovers as well. That with a different, ball joint, uca may help you achieve what you are looking for while providing the capabilities that you desire, all while somewhat minimizing extra costs.

4. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    King Resi's with TC UCA's, All Pro leaf pack in the rear with your choice of shocks - King, ICON, Fox, etc. That's what I would do if money wasn't an issue.

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Holy shit thats a lot to read.

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    Gundy315

Gundy315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
    Sorry, "S.B." if you thought that was too much to read, stop here.:rolleyes:

TBird,

I'd generally agree with 1337taco's advice. It doesn't sound like you would need the remote resi setups for the fronts, but if $ is no object, might as well... the adjustability and ease of installation of coilovers are an obvious plus.

I was on a moderate budget for my setup (Bilstein 5100's, OME 885s, 3-leaf AAL pack, and Camburg ball joint UCAs), so I didn't go with coilovers. However, I couldn't be happier with the highway ride with my lift, and I'm on the highway about 95% of the time.

I'm a big fan of Bilstein in general. I have now run them on 3 completely different vehicles, and they've been great on every application.

I was leery of running AALs, because I had AALs an old Jeep for a while and the ride was bone-jarring. This is NOT the case with the 3-leaf AAL I got from Wheelers. It provides a progressive spring rate, so the ride is not harsh at all, in my opinion. So, basically, I'm just saying don't rule that out that as an option.

I kind of like the Camburg ball joint UCA's (NOT uniball), too. I put new MOOG ball joints in them, which was a HUGE pain, even using a big hydraulic frame press... but i like the low-maintenance, and no noise aspect of them. They allowed me to dial in the alignment exactly where I wanted it.

Before I lifted it, my truck (w/ 90K mi) had lots of body roll in turns, and the suspension just felt too "squishy" for my taste. I think it rides sort of like a sports car on the highway now.

I recommend Wheelers as a retailer. They were helpful and easy to work with. I can't speak as to the others (like DSM), as I haven't dealt with them.

I know most of this is contrary to what you are planning, but I thought I would throw it out there.

7. Dec 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    Tbird

Tbird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    Thanks for the input guys,

I decided and ordered:

All-Pro leaf pack in the rear.
    ICON extended travel non-res coilovers in front.
    Total Chaos UCAs.
    ICON res shocks in the rear.

Konig Countersteer Off-road rims.
    wrapped in Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 260/75/16.

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    silver streak taco

silver streak taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    does your truck sit anywhere close to level with the allpro 3" leafs with the coilovers? if not, how much rake do you have? and how much do you have your icons cranked up to

9. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    Halo913

Halo913 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sport 4x4
    Pro-comp full suspension 3 inch lift, Built right UCA's
    how much for the total suspension?

Products Discussed in