1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help wiring a new voltmeter. Can I use the wires from the cigarette lighter / powerpoint harness?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kevinludlow, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Jul 29, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Not going to happen with that device.t would probably fry.

2. Jul 29, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    kevinludlow

kevinludlow [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Working on a bunch of modifications (mostly exterior lighting) and was helping to find some help here.
    Oh for sure. It's not built for that. But my point is that I figured I could use it to measure the draw from some of the lights I am wanting to install. I would imagine it should be able to handle that without issue.

3. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:21 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Second one is correct. 1st one won't work since the current will bypass the meter straight to ground.

4. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:22 PM
    kevinludlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Working on a bunch of modifications (mostly exterior lighting) and was helping to find some help here.
    Gotcha. And yea, that's what I thought you meant, but just wanted to triple check. Thanks so much for your help with this! Really awesome to find people in here who understand this stuff far better than I do. I'm delighted to be learning! :)

5. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    It's how you get to be in the know. I've had help from others so I'm happy to help where I can.

6. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    I got one of these for each car in my household - except mine cause I have dual batteries and have a dual voltage readout (which I haven't installed yet). Anyhow, they are simple and effective. The quirk about them is that when you plug in a device, it will switch back and forth between voltage and the amp output - very annoying as I wish it would only show the voltage reading.

Capture.jpg

7. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    kevinludlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Yea, I saw those and thought about them, but am just trying to install something that's a little more permanent to my system. So I've got the voltmeter / ammeter already going (as you can see from the previous posts) and I've actually ordered a dual USB charger. My plan is to wire the ammeter to the dual USB charger so that it shows me the load being drawn from whatever I install. I mostly just wanted the voltmeter for the overall battery reading, but since I saw the ammeter as a bonus, figured that I'd use it for something while I was at it.

Anyway, I do like the cig chargers, but am specifically trying to remove those powerpoints from the car since I feel like the cig adapter should have been done away with a decade or longer ago. :)

8. Jul 30, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I was eyeballing a contraption like this to replace my cig lighter plug as well. This thread would make things much more "express" for me when it comes time to me doing it. So I like this thread. :)

9. Jul 30, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    kevinludlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    So I still don't have the new USB device that I'm going to install yet, but I wired up the ammeter (the load on the voltmeter) in the way that you guys told me to and hooked it up to my existing powerpoint. It works really well. Tested it just hooked up to the powerpoint and it would read about 0.01 amps. I plugged in my inverter and that took it to about 0.42 amps. Then plugged a USB into the inverter and it jumped up to about 0.89 amps. So looks like it works well. Excited to see it hooked up for real. Thanks again for all of the great help with this small part of my project!

IMG_3490.jpg
    IMG_3489.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg

10. Jul 31, 2019 at 2:33 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top