1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help Wiring a Push Button Switch for Light Bar

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TheNatural, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Apr 29, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    I bought a push switch for my LED light bar that (sort of) matches the oem switches to the left of the steering wheel in my 2nd gen. I'm not sure what the 4 wires on the back of it are for. This is the switch

$_1.jpg

$_1 (1).jpg
    (note: second pic is "upside down". The black wire is actually at the bottom.)
    (another note: not an led switch. doesn't light up)

I have a relay and I'm familiar with how all the rest of the wiring goes for the lightbar, I just need a hand figuring the switch out. I'm not sure why four wires are required and which wire is what. Can anyone identify them for me?

What I want to do is tie into the wire coming out of the highbeam switch, use that as the power in for my new push button switch instead of using power from fuse box/battery/etc, and run from the new switch to the relay. This way I will have to turn both the highbeams and the push switch on for the light bar to turn on, and I will be able to use just the highbeam switch to turn both the bar and the regular highbeams off/on at the same time.

2. Apr 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    NolaTaco42

NolaTaco42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    4" lift 17x9" XD Hoss wheels on Nitto 285/70/17 Trail Grapplers
    seems like a weird complicated way to run the switch when you can just jump from a power source to get a positive.

3. Apr 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    It's uncommon, but I think it'll be the best for my needs. With the LED Light Bar switch turned on I'll be able to turn the light bar on/off with a flick of the highbeam switch when I encounter another vehicle. If I wire it up independently I'll have to flick the highbeams off and reach for the push switch which will be more of a PITA. I do a lot of driving on nearly deserted roads in the middle of nowhere owned by energy companies, etc. Before anyone lectures me on the use of offroad lights on public highways, that's not my intention.

I'm still not sure how to wire this thing up. I'm assuming it's the same as the factory fog switch in which the top will be the 12V power in, 2nd one down will be the 12V power out to relay, and the bottom two would be for the illumination. I don't understand why I would have wires for illumination if it isn't a light up switch though. Anyone have some insight?

4. Apr 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Problem Solved. I dissected the switch and had a look at the pcb to figure the wiring out. It's the same as an OEM fog light switch. It even has two tiny LED's behind the front switch panel (which are what the bottom two wires are for), but they're blocked out by the solid front of the switch.

5. May 1, 2014 at 5:19 AM
    NolaTaco42

NolaTaco42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    4" lift 17x9" XD Hoss wheels on Nitto 285/70/17 Trail Grapplers
    how much did that switch cost you? i got 3 fog light switches from toyota for my lights and they ran me $70 a piece.

6. May 1, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Shipping was like half of it, but the total to my door was about $50. They have other ones I like (air compressor, diff lock, side lights, rear light, etc) so I'll be able to cut that cost down a lot by combining shipping if I order more. I wanted to start with 1 so I could see how I liked it in person.

7. May 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    I went thru the same issue..3 fog light switches

please tell us your source.

8. May 1, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not weird or complicated at all. My last set of lights were wired up very similarly and my current set will be wired up that exact way the OP describes. It's nice to be able to just have the lights cycle with the high beams if you plan on using your lights on the road.
    You should check out OTRATTW.com. Their switches are like 1/4 of the cost, look nice and still fit in the slots to the left of the steering wheel.

9. May 1, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Haha, I meant to include a link in my last post. Mornings are not my thing :eek:

I bought the switch on ebay from a seller located in Aus. The description says they're for a Hilux, but the measurements looked the same as for our Tacomas. I'll take a pic when I get it installed but that wont be for a few more days. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/brendosutt/m.html?item=221372842153&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Great to hear you had a similar setup that was successful. I was pretty confident that the minimal current draw for the relay wouldn't effect the high beam circuit at all, but good to have confirmation.

I have looked at their switches, but I really had my heart set on a push button one. I've been hunting for switches all winter and this one was the one I liked the most. Once this one takes up my last blank I'll have to figure out where to put another switch panel for my future planned expansions. I might use a different style of switch for the future ones though.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 1, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I ran a similar setup for a couple of years and no adverse effects on my high beams. I actually had 2 relays (one for each pair of lights). The setup I ran was with 2 on-off-on switches, each switch ran a pair of lights. The up position would let the lights cycle with the high beams, the down position would allow me to turn the lights on whenever the ignition was on. The wiring was a little bit of a pain and I never ended up using the down 'on' position so my next lights will be wired like yours and cycled with the high beams only.

11. May 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    The on-off-on switch was something I very strongly considered, but I really wanted to use the push button style switch and I didn't really think I'd get much use out of the independent option. Basically I just wanted to have the light bars on at the same time as my OEM fogs for pictures :p I may end up rewiring the fogs to be on any time to serve that purpose. (Currently they're wired so that they are only on when low beams are on. Off when high beams are on, or when headlights are off during the day)

12. May 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Wait a minute... isn't the way you have them wired the exact opposite? :confused: I thought you said above that you now have your light bar wired so it comes on with the high beams.

I also did the fog light any time mod when I had my Tacoma, definitely worth doing in my opinion.

13. May 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Yes, currently it's the exact opposite :p I decided it wasn't worth the push switch sacrifice just for a couple pictures.

Products Discussed in

To Top