1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help, wiring fog lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by txusa03, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Feb 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I know there are at least 4 threads with fog lights info but I don't want to spam/hijack them so I start my own specific to my need. I have a 09 base tacoma reg cab without fog light and not prewire. So I bought a light kit with fog lights, switch, and wiring harness with attached relay and inline fuse. I have spent a week staring at this wiring harness and managed to figure out where all the wires suppose to connect to except for 2 of them.

1) where does the other end of the inline fuse suppose to attach to? 2) the switch has a total of 4 small wires (2 red, 1 yellow, and 1 black), where is the small red wire suppose to attach to? 3) why is there wires from the switch smaller in diameter then the rest of other wires and is that normal.

I have a diagram of what the wiring harness looks like. I would like to work on the fog light this weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

foglight.jpg

2. Feb 13, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    The fused wire should go directly to the battery. The other loose wire you have from the switch would go to your trigger signal, meaning if you want them to turn off when you flick on the highbeams, hook it to the low beam headlight wire. If not, hook it to your fusebox on an accessory hot circuit.

Marc M

3. Feb 13, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    txusa03

Member:
    Thanks Marc. Now if I want to do it AZFizik's method (found here), how does that works based on my wiring harness in the diagram? More specifically, because I don't have a factory relay, I was not able to follow his instruction in his thread.

4. Feb 13, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    Are these aftermarket or OEM lights? What lights did you buy?

5. Feb 13, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    Well, his setup is completely different than yours. He had factory fogs and was just wiring them to stay on when ever he wants, even with the high beams on.

If you would like to do the same thing, just hook your loose switch wire to a fuse box circuit that goes hot when your ignition is switched to accessory.

Marc M

6. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:20 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Fuses - Green go to battery postive
    ? - Red go to the Car for ground, or go to battery negative.

But I will suggest you hack into the fuses box ( go to and auto parts store ) there is a parts i guess call add a circuit. it plug into your Tacoma fuse box than when you turn off the car, it will turn off the light, I will suggest you do it this way, therefore you will not forget to turn off the light when you left the truck...

7. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    txusa03

Member:
  8. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    txusa03

Member:
    You beat me to it about add a circuit mod that I saw on here in another thread. Thanks for clarifying that the fuse (green wire) goes to + terminal.

9. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    harshest

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
  10. Feb 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    txusa03

Member:
    Help again, I tried installing fog lamps just now and it does not work. Here is a recap of my connection. Large black wire from light to a ground location. Large green wire from inline fuse to a positive terminal. Small black wire from relay to negative terminal. Small red wire from switch to negative terminal. Toggle the switch on/off but get no light output from lamps?

How do i go about troubleshooting this. Damn, the fog light really dressed up the front look of my regular truck but I want it to function as well.:confused:

11. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    I know this may be a stupid question, but did you check to see if there was a fuse in the holder, or if it was a good fuse?

Are you hearing a click from the relay ? If not maybe you have the wires on the relay incorrectly.

There are numbers on the bottom of the relay...

30 goes to the battery
    86 goes to ground
    87 goes to positive side of lights
    85 goes to light switch

Do you have a digital multi-meter to do some testing?

Marc M

12. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    I believe is the connection on the relay.
    If you can take a few photos, post it here. I belive all people here can help you out.

13. Feb 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    harshest

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
  14. Feb 14, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    harshest

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    here is another diagram
    [​IMG]

15. Feb 14, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    txusa03

Member:
    After I posted the SOS help message, I went back out to garage and reviewed all the wiring connections and got it to light up. In retrospect, this wire harness came with the kit so I did not do the wiring and all the joints were all taped up. I removed the taped joints and realized my original diagram is wrong. The fuse (big white wire indeed goes to the bat+). The smaller red wire should go to a + source as well but for some reason I connected it to ground. So Marc, you are correct and everyone else, sorry if my diagram is a bit confusing.

I don't have it connected yet, I just wanted to test the light and make sure the lights work first and that I understand where each ends are connected to.

Thanks again and I don't think I could have done this (or had the courage to do this) without yall help and support.

16. Feb 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    txusa03

Member:
    Hey, I just wanted to update my project. I completed the fog lamp installed this weekend. Total time was a little over 6 hours but I am very satisfied with it so far. I did the on anytime mod and it turns off when you turn off the ignition so there is little chance of me draining the juice. And while at it, I also did the intermitten wipper last month.

Thank you for all the helps.

truck1.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    truck4.jpg
    truck.jpg

17. Aug 16, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    Silvert

Silvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma reg. cab.,5sp., 4 cyl.
    I have everything done except the white wire with a plug in end connected to the fuse...goes where? And the red wire with the white plug in type end to ?

I think the white wire goes to the positive side of the battery and the red wire gets spliced to the parking light wire. I assume this means I cut of the plug in ends on both and run them to their locations and connect them. Help please.
    Thanks very much.
    Jeff/silvert

To Top