1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with 2009 Turn Signal/DTRL LED Conversion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rsdalntx, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Apr 13, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    rsdalntx

rsdalntx [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Prerunner Access Cab
    TRD Suspension, Pioneer Radio Upgrade, Bed Box Locks, LED Lights
    I posted a week or two ago about doing an LED conversion including headlights. Thanks to some responses explaining why I should not do LED headlights I have decided to do everything except the brake lights since I think they are already led.

Everything was going well until I got to the turn signal/blinker lights and theswe are the ones I most wanted to replace. I'm hoping the LED bulbs will burn cooler and won't melt the lenses like the OEM bulbs did.

Since the truck has DTRL I can not use the flasher relay fix so I am adding resistors (std 50w 6ohm). I've seen a few articles on Taco World and some Youtube videos and most seem to give a little information and some pictures of resistor placement but I don't think any give the full picture.

I tried splicing one resistor on one of the back tail turn signal lamps and nothing changed. Then I read an article mentioning that the car's system can determine if all bulbs are functioning by measuring the current draw and will cause the lights to hyper-flash if it thinks a bulb is blown out . So I think all four locations need a resistor

From my limited knowledge of electronics I believe resistors do not have polarity so they can be wired either way.

So here's what I think needs to happen.

1) One resistor between power and ground (green/yellow and white/black) wires for each rear turn signal. Resistor mounted to a metal base.

2) One resistor between power and ground wires for each DTRL power and ground wire (see pictures). Resistor mounted to a metal base.

I am debating between splices and soldering for the DTLR wires because it may be a challenge to solder the connections in the engine compartment but we'll see.

20230413_140320.jpg
    20230413_140309.jpg

2. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
  3. Apr 16, 2023 at 1:12 PM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much went as I expected. I soldered all the connections and having 1 resistor on each of the lights worked.

If you plan on doing this mod you will need to extend the wires for the rear lights because there is go extra length to re-connect them after cutting. I extended them with some 16 gauge copper stranded wire.

I also used the same wire to extend the wires on the resistors about 6 inches so they would be easier to work with.

4. Apr 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some pictures of the front resistor installation

Left_front.jpg
    Right_Front.jpg

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  5. Apr 17, 2023 at 10:50 AM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pics of the rear install.

20230417_120131.jpg
    20230417_120123.jpg

6. Apr 17, 2023 at 11:02 AM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    FYI I found this process a big PIA. I only kept going because I'm hoping the LED's burn cooler than the OEM bulb and my DTRL lenses will not melt down again.

7. Apr 18, 2023 at 4:11 PM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Now this project has become even more of a PIA. The adjusters don't work. This (moisture build-up) apparently is a problem with a lot of the cheap OEM knock-off's on Amazon and eBay. These are the specific ones I bought but others have the same issues:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FNXK3R3?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

They are being returned. At least I have the wiring done so round 2 should go quicker.

Many say only the OEM's are good but I'm not ready to speand $500+ right now.

Another thread discussing headlamp assemblies mentioned TYC from Rock auto are better quality so I'm going to try them out

https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1447055&parttype=10762

I will post my results when I get them installed.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    TXpro4X4 likes this.
  8. Apr 18, 2023 at 4:23 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Idk about head lights but yhea oem is the best way to go if looking for stock look.
    I got tail a light from vato zone I think it was$170
    Might want to try them a chance for price

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Apr 24, 2023 at 8:16 PM
    rsdalntx

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm happy with the TYC right now. They look and feel more like the originals, came with new bulbs (not useful to me since I already bought halogen and LED bulbs), new connectors, and were already adjusted to my 39" height from floor to bulb.

Leomania likes this.
  10. Apr 28, 2023 at 2:15 PM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    Getting all the headlights together and wondering if hyperflash is present with the resisters and leds.

11. Jun 7, 2023 at 9:21 AM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam

Products Discussed in

To Top