1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with 2011 4x4 long bed!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by docschultz, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    docschultz

docschultz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nate
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    11 long bed 4x4 I hope
    I'm looking at buying a 2011 4x4 tacoma long bed. this would be my second tacoma. I want the TRD off road , but it looks like they don't offer it for the long bed:mad: I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and cant shop around to get what I want I was wondering if I should just buy the stock 4x4 long bed then upgrade it? and if so what should I get whit it stock< and what should I do myself. and what parts should I get (what is the best lift kit, skid plates< is there a kit that makes the rear diff a locking diff?< things like that
    Thanks for everyone help

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    Welcome from Ohio and thanks for your service :oldglory:

You're right. If you really need a long bed then you won't be able to go the OR route.

But if it isn't absolutely necessary, you can get the bed extender that flips out when your tailgate is down. It's around 225 bucks.

I have one and it gets my by when the load is a little longer than the bed.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    BryWi

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    5100s, black valance
    I know you can get a rear diff lock.

Go to "Forum List" above and in "Tacoma Garage" there will be all kinds of info that can answer your questions. It will help you, along with the opinions you will get from this thread.

I have very limited expertise in the after market performance area.:eek:

Stay safe and good luck with your new truck...

4. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    You can get the Access Cab OR with a long bed. I know the web site won't let you select long bed with OR but if you check the specs. section the bed lengths are the same. I have an 2010 AC OR with the long bed.

5. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    BryWi

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    5100s, black valance
    Thank you, sir.

I learned something today...

6. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Personally I went with the TRD Sport in the long bed and ended up getting most of the options in their package. I plan on adding an ARB locker and suspension mods. I liked the color matched parts such as mirrors. I knew I could get the standard 4x and add stuff, but I didn't know when I'd get around to it and I liked the fact I could take the stuff off the car and put it back on before reselling it down the line. Those parts are going to look like new and I'm hoping the resale will be better with a TRD.

Not a suspension expert but the ARB locker is the one for me. I believe it's technically a replacement for your existing diff.

I'll probably go with ATO skids, Relentless Fab bumpers, and Perkins Engineering sliders as they are local and seem high quality. I've been oogling the ICON C/O. I'd recommend getting any accessories online as I regretted paying the dealer premium for my step rails and skid plate.

Whatever you do you will love your truck. I've gone places in mine I never even knew existed. It will always get you home safe. Good luck!

7. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    I have the off road and it is a long bed. But here you had to get the access cab.

8. Mar 30, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    docschultz

docschultz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nate
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    11 long bed 4x4 I hope
    thanks for all the posts they have been a grate help! I forgot to add that I wanter the 4 door as well.

9. Mar 30, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    then yes, the only routes for the 6' bed AND the DC is either the non-TRD or the sport. really, the only thing to do to make it an OR is the ARB rear locker. everyone changes the suspension outta the OR and sport anyways. even stock, the only real suspension differences are the front coils.

10. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    and the sway bar

11. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    right, it is a difference, but the slightly larger sway bar on the sport is negligible.

12. Mar 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Ndrorder

Ndrorder Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    B. Red TRD Sport
    None --- yet!
    The sport seats in the TRD model made the difference for us. Those can be changed as well, but we didn't want the hassle.

- Cliff

13. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    That is a GREAT point. I completely forgot to mention how much better I liked the seats. The shape of the seats feel perfect to me on long drives.

14. Apr 4, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    When I was ready to trade my 2001 extra cab (6' bed) for a 2005 double cab (5' bed), I thought for sure I would need the bed extender pictured above. A long bed double cab will not fit in my garage, and I had to have the Off Road TRD because looks mean nothing if the truck can't climb up cliffs I want to climb!

What I found out (before ordering the bed extender) was the '05 (2nd Gen.) 5 foot bed being wider and deeper, carried as much as my '01's 6 ft. bed! PERFECT!

Fits in my garage, can hold as much gear as my '01 did, and no extender needed!

15. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    WoodsCustom

WoodsCustom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC LB TRD Sport
    I ordered mine when I got back from Afghanistan. 2011, DC, LB TRD Sport. I put on the OFF ROAD Package Skid plates, or should I say, I had my SON do it. Then I did the 5100 shocks at 1.75 and then the Rear Spring TSB.

Awesome truck, Love it.

WC

AKA (MSG Woods)

16. Apr 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    If you go with a non TRD OR, and add a ARB locker in the rear, you will have a larger and stronger rear diff then a stock E-locker diff. Plus, you can upgrade the air compressor to allow air adjustments on the trail...:drool:

Products Discussed in

To Top