1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with Alternator Whine!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by aleok, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Jun 14, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    aleok

aleok [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey,
    I’m getting super loud alternator whine from my tweeters. I had the problem before, I spent forever trying to find the bad ground but I never could, so I bought ground loop isolators which solved the problem. But now several months later the whine is back and louder than ever. I haven’t done or touched anything, it just randomly came back. Anyone know what I can do? Thanks

2. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    orvis

orvis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road
    do you have rca cables running close to a power wire?

3. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    from the audio guru's on here that has been a proven myth.

4. Jun 14, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    orvis

orvis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off road
    re-routing mine fixed engine wine I was getting in my prelude, and that was all I did so I know it was the rcas, but then I can't say it was because they were next to a power cable.
    make sure that there isn't anywhere on your rcas that is starting to wear through, that was the other thing I noticed when I did mine

5. Jun 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    aleok

aleok [OP] Active Member

Member:
    several months ago i did re-route the RCAs, which did not solve the problem. I'll re-check the RCAs again though. Any other suggestions? the only thing i never checked before was each individual speaker wire coming from the amp. could there be a problem within those?

6. Jun 14, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    You can confirm/eliminate the signal cables to your amp as a "cause" by running some free air temporary ones and testing to see if you still have noise. I took a quick look on Google to see if there were any other bright ideas and the consensus pretty much points to a ground that is not doing its job but there can be other causes:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bKvhmKXPXdc/tech/kb348.html

Give that a quick read and you may find something you have not checked.

7. Jun 16, 2010 at 12:48 AM
    lilgerber

lilgerber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 off road Speedway blue
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yes, pioneer headunits have what is called a Pico fuse inside. If you plug in an RCA while it's live/powered it will blow the fuse and give you the whine.

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    aleok

aleok [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ok, i've tried everything once again. I took my HU in to have the pico fuse checked and it wasn't blown. do you think my ground loop isolators might have stopped working? but both of them at the same time??? idk what else to do, but just re-wire absolutely everything.. the repair man said maybe my HU's wire harness's ground might be loose.

10. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    doesn't matter, as has been stated. Yes, the pico fuse can be an issue, though that tends to be fairly rare. Most common issue is a grounding issue. Make sure that the ground is a clean (free of rust, paint primer, gremlins, etc) and is secured to a substantial bit of metal that is directly connected to the frame. I personally like the seat belt bolts, but some swear by other areas. I try to make it as close as possible to the amps and the wire should be at least the size of the main power wire.

11. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    lilgerber

lilgerber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 off road Speedway blue
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    you dont want ground loop isolators those are just band aids to the real problem.

most of the time its a ground . But if you have checked all your wires, moved them, changed them and still NOISE i would try swapping the HU or your amp with an extra or a friends. ( i used my dads thats how i found out.)

like i said i have ran into these problems and you think its something small like a ground , but as you dig deeper, it could be hardware.

12. Jun 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    this man speaks the truth.

13. Jun 17, 2010 at 2:48 AM
    aleok

aleok [OP] Active Member

Member:
    thanks buddys,

now i gotta get my hands on a 4ch amp and/or HU

14. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    i love tacos

i love tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD
    Bull Bar, Hella Lights, AiRaid cold air intake
    I had a 98 Lincoln Mark VIII that had a huge problem w/ interference. After every solution under the sun including re-wiring the stereo running new grounds and changing to new RCA's. I found the twisted pair StreetWires. They are pricey but worth every nickle. The perm. fixed that annoying whine almost like getting a divorce.

15. Sep 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    cstorer

cstorer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double cab TRD off-road
    I'm having this issue with my pioneer avic-920xbt. I have RCA's running from the HU to the amp for the front channel's and the sub. When I have only one plugged in (doesn't matter which), there's no noise. But when both are plugged in, there's noise. Originally I had both sets of RCA's running together in the door channel, but I re-routed the sub RCA's just to see if that made a difference. I also tried grounding the RCA's to the HU chassis. Any advice would be helpful! I'm afraid I may have blown the Pico fuse, because I did unplug and replug the RCA's while the HU was powered. I didn't know that was a problem :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top