1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with CEL P0420 on 02 Prerunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by agapedisciple, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    agapedisciple

agapedisciple [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Skid plate, Tonneau bed cover, Toyota bed liner, Bed Extension bar, Nerf bars
    I'm really at a loss on what to do about this code. I'm hoping somebody on TW can help me out. I've got a 02 PreRunner with about 160K miles. As far as I know, the catalytic convertor, O2 Sensor and A/F Sensor have not been changed.

I recently got the P0420 code. I read up on the forums and did some of the inspection checks listed in the . I checked for exhaust leaks, but didn't notice any. I used my voltmeter and both sensors seem to be in . I removed the A/F sensor and cleaned it in SeaFoam then sucked about a 1/4 cup of SeaFoam into my PCV Valve to clean out any engine carbon build-up. I got Advance Auto Parts to clear the code and thought everything was cool.

Then a couple of weeks later, the code hit again on my way to work. I'm at a loss what to do. Here's my thoughts... 1. Clean the O2 sensor (I haven't done this yet since I didn't have a deep 12mm socket to reach over the heat shield.) 2. Pickup a OBDII Checker and do my own . (This may give me an excuse to buy a BlueTooth OBDII.) :cookiemonster: 3. Replace catalytic converter. (Not too excited about this one. RockAuto lists a WALKER Cat# 53432 for $170, but I'm thinking installation will probably be costly.)

Has anybody successfully solved this problem?

2. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    I also found these posts over at http://www.p0420.com/. Not sure if they apply in this case though...

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    P0420 code is a straight up catalyst code. Catalyst below threshold, replace the cat and you are good to go. I recommend a factory cat, aftermarket cats do not last.

4. Nov 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Is there anyway to check the cat first?

I'm going to try to check the 2nd flange this weekend too as that worked for another TWer.

5. Nov 30, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    HuckleSmothered

HuckleSmothered Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Ext Cab
    Did you eventually fix this problem? What was the final resolution?

6. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    I got the CEL reset and it remained off until my last fill-up. Since then, I've had some higher priorities and haven't gotten around to it yet.

7. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    B ryan

B ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    '00 3.4 sr5 4wd
    K&N intake, Flow series exhaust, bfg all-terrains, Line-X bed liner, 2.5'' leveling kit, diff drop(just to be safe), hard wired inverter, Delta tool box, high lift mounted in bed, Jerry can mount for in the bed, spidertrax wheel spacers, all-pro rear bumper, gray wire mod
    I'm having this same issue. If you figure it out let us know. I'm also thinking of picking up an obd II aswell just to look a little deeper. :rolleyes: I was told by a mechanic that it's probably the cat itself if no exhaust leak, clean MAF sensor, good 02 sensors. which sucks. I don't want to pay for one of those stupid things, but am at a loss. I'm not getting any noticable changes in power at this point but he said it will probably start if I don't fix it at some point soon.

8. Dec 8, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    I've noticed a decrease in power and gas mileage lately. Got to work on this as soon as I wrap up school. I've cleaned my MAF sensor. (It needed it.) Next I'lll need a deep 12mm socket to clean the O2 sensor without having to cut the heat sheild.

9. Jan 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Here's the latest update on my CEL issue. First, I cleaned my O2 Sensor with SeaFoam. Then, I followed the advice of el contrador to check for leaks around the exhaust flanges. I ran some SeaFoam into my PCV value and let it sit over night. (The SeaFoam burns white smoke after letting it sit for a while.) In the morning I got a friend to block my exhaust with a board while I looked for the white smoke leaks from the flanges. No noticable leaks.

After all that, I reset P0420 codes. It's been one week so far with no CEL. :) So maybe the O2 sensor was dirty? I also stopped getting gas at Kroger to see if the issue may be related to the brand of gas I use. (I've consistently been using Kroger Mid-Grade 89 Octane.) I'll check back soon with status.

10. Jan 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  11. Jan 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    toyotadan98

toyotadan98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wa
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFFROAD 4X4 ACC
    I had this code once po420 changed both 02 sensors and the cat , trouble went away for about a year and i got it again about a month ago after returning from hunting cleaned MAF and put HEAT in my gas and cleared the code and havn't had it since ?. heard moister in the gas can cause this.AKA Alcohol.

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    B ryan

B ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    '00 3.4 sr5 4wd
    K&N intake, Flow series exhaust, bfg all-terrains, Line-X bed liner, 2.5'' leveling kit, diff drop(just to be safe), hard wired inverter, Delta tool box, high lift mounted in bed, Jerry can mount for in the bed, spidertrax wheel spacers, all-pro rear bumper, gray wire mod
    Yea let us know. I think I'm going to get the sim from urd and start with that. I did the Seafoam thing without any noticable changes. I think my mpg's are dropping as of lattely. I've also been looking at cats, and cause my trucks Cali. emmissioned I have two of them. I've read on here that afftermarket cats don't last at all, but it's hard to look past how much cheaper they are.:rolleyes:

13. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Been 4 weeks and still no CEL. Gas mileage didn't look good on my last fillup so I'm still at a loss as to what the issue really is... wonder if changing the O2 sensor is the right solution. :confused:

14. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Had the same code on my 2nd gen. Turned out to be cracked manifold!

15. Feb 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    agapedisciple

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Finally changed the O2 sensor about 7 months ago. Haven't had the CEL come back since. :D

16. Feb 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    HuckleSmothered

HuckleSmothered Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Ext Cab
    I changed my downstream sensor and still had a problem. Ended up having to change my catalytic converter. No problems since then and it's been over six months.

17. Dec 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    Kevin01

Kevin01 New Member

Member:
    Prescott
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 TRD
    Custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, off road hid lights, winch, crawling gears
    you can check the catalytic converter by using a scan tool. monitor the no.2 O2 sensor voltage while the engine is running. the voltage should change very little even when you rev the engine. if the voltage is fluctuating a lot than the catalytic converter is bad. always go with toyota brand.

Products Discussed in

To Top