1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help With Excel

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jdkeller, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I need some help with the filter function in Excel. I have spent time trying to figure it out. I know a little on how to use it but I can't figure out how to get it to do what I need. I'm attaching the file. On sheet 4 there are the 5 different vehicles in column A. Then there are gallons, miles, and mpg listed in the next columns for a few different tanks of gas. I just need a filter set up to filter the vehicles so that when each vehicle is filtered, each of the data for that is there. So for example if I filtered just the Kawasaki, I need column B,C, and D to show from rows 2-5. If anyone can help let me know. Or even just do it really quick and explain how. Thanks a lot. Book1(1).xls

Let me know if the file isn't working. I suck at uploading files.

2. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    The easiest way to do this is to have the vehicle listed under each entry. Then just filter the first row into drop down menus. then you can filter the gas milage by that. I attached the changes.

Attached Files:

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Ok got. Thank you so much. Is it possible to only put the vehicle name once instead of each row?

4. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    MHS2846bg8

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    There might be, but i haven't had any luck yet...plus I hate the new MS office formats. But thats the easiest route to take at the moment...its hard for the program to filter specific data when there is nothing to filter in a specified column like that. if you're going to print it out or anything and want just one name, you could always make the font white and then it'll be there but you wont have to look at it.

5. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. Thanks again. I spent about 30 minutes on it and figured anymore time would just be wasted since I couldnt figure it out. :eek:

6. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    MHS2846bg8

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No problem man!

7. Jan 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    A slick way to do this is with a pivot table, and using Column A as a Page field. You would need to have a value in each row in Column A, but having that column set up as a page field would allow you to quickly manipulate the info by vehicle.

8. Jan 9, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I'm not familiar with a page field or pivot table. What are the advantages?

9. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    Quick and powerful data manipulation. But the learning curve can be a bit steep. Attached is your file, with a pivot tab, and the vehicles in a page field. Select the different vehicles from the drop down list, and watch the values change. You can also build pivot charts, which make graphing very easy.

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top