1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help with internet negotiating on 06 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Zombie Runner, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    wait to get a 2010, when the 2011 hit the lots. you will have better luck then,

2. Jul 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Keep working them. I bought mine used: 08 TRD Off Road Access Cab with 12k miles for $23k, this was in May of 09.

3. Jul 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    is your truck back to almost stock state and transferring the parts over?

i like the way your truck looks now,

whats your reason for trading?

4. Jul 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    keason..sent you an option via PM.

5. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner [OP] Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    not yet but I do need to start working on getting it back to stock.

I love the way my truck "looks" too..it is however missing 2 things. 4wd and a locker:D

6. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

if I go this route do you think my dealer would still be able to order a 4x4 trd OR?

Ive looked on the lot here a few times and they never have 4x4's always just prerunners.

7. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    I just bought a 09 4x4 DC LB Sport 22k miles. Their "internet" price was 27,500k. I called the internet guy and offered 24k he pretty much laughed at me saying trying to get 3k off an internet price was crazy and that internet price was as low as it got.

I let the truck sit there for another week then called back, said I was still interested in the truck and set up a time to go down and actually talk about it in person. I walked in and again, drove the truck etc, again offered 24k, they wouldn't take it. I told them that I had quotes for a new one for 29k so they would have to make It worth my while to pick this one up instead of buying a new one. After a few back and forths we agreed on 25,300.

So from my experience they were unwilling to really haggle online or over the phone.

8. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I negotiate for a living. Negotiations ranging from new wide-body jets to manufacturing businesses to multi-million dollar homes to small condos in Riverside CA.

IIRC, According the book "The Millionaire Next Door," auctioneers are one of the largest, if not largest group of millionaires in the US. They know how to set their price when they want something. They also are very aware of the emotional heroin that some people respond to and how that makes them pay more than they wanted.

I coach all my buying clients to be on the look out for the emotional rush. If I feel they get too caught up, I ask them to sleep on it. If they really want to pay more, they are at least forewarned of the emotional charge.

I would ask you to do the same. Sleep on it. Research it. And above all, realize you are talking with RETAILERS! They make their money buying wholesale, selling retail - nothing hidden there! If you want and need a wholesale price, buy it from a private party. Private parties respond to emotional heroin. In other words, if they think you are nice, they will usually give you a discount. I have all of my clients write a handwritten note telling their story of what they are going to do with the possession (a truck in your case). The better your story is, the more willing a private party is willing to budge. And before you tell me you would never lower your price when you are selling... I have seen accountants, finance guys, lawyers, doctors - all give on price (to a point) if the human interest suits their unwritten needs.

Good luck and do not pay any more than you want to!

9. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    ^ When I was in the market I had a similar experience. Drove down to Houston after seeing an internet add, and the dealer wouldn't budge 1 cent from the internet price. They wanted 22,100 for an 06 Trd offroad -- I offered 22,000 even and they wouldn't even take that!

10. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    ok...keep in mind that truck will not have the locker....sounds like you wont be happy until you get the Off Road.

11. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah maybe you should wait and get a newer one.:rolleyes:

12. Jul 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Don't be surprised if they negotiate down then turn around and low-ball your trade in to make up the difference in price reduction. I would definitely sells yours privately through CL or TW then take the cash, get a small personal loan, take that to any dealer and see if how hard it is for them to say no to cash-in-hand ! You already have a nice truck, just be patient 'cause there are always deals out there. In the meantime, just order some TRD OR bed decals from Sockmonkey, no one has to know it's a 2WD prerunner.:D

13. Jul 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I guess I just have new truck fever..seeing new members on here almost every day saying they got a new 2010 blah blah blah...it makes me want a new one even more..

Ive been talking with my wife and she thinks I should wait and get a new one once I pay mine off in about 15 months. and I dont really "need" a 4x4 truck but i really really want one :D if winter is bad this year we can drive her H3...

Oh and wattapunk, my truck actually came with TRD OR stickers....at the time i didnt know anything about taco's and thought "sweet an off road package"....Ill never make that mistake of not doing enough research ever again.

14. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    my cousin is a car salesman (who i bought my truck from)

and when i was chattin with him he told me he would be more willing to give a better price if you didnt come in with cash. they make money on when you finance it, not buy it out right then.

15. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Very good point and true!

16. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    outlawtacoma

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    they may not have one, but they will be able to find one in the area and work out something between dealerships. As far as ordering 2010 that is a negative. they are only taking orders for 2011s now.
    you can find a 2010 TRD OR, just keep looking, dont settle because you wont be happy until you get what you want.

17. Jul 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    outlawtacoma

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR

Products Discussed in

To Top