1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with lift setup

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HSmith_11, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Sep 29, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...

Coil is compressed the same amount at ride height whether its set to 0 or 2.5" of lift. during regular street use it technically shouldn't feel any stiffer (not taking into account suspension geometry changes)

Most of the harshness is caused by the now lack of droop and the extra stiffness in last 3" or so of wheel travel. This and the fact the 5100s are valved stiffer themselves.

2. Sep 29, 2016 at 7:53 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Actually, coil will be compressed more at 2.5" setting than zero that's why it is called preload as the perch sits closer to the top thus compressing the coil more and creating the lift. During street use, it will feel stiffer at the higher setting as the coils are already preloaded and any up travel movement puts more load on an already preloaded coil. This is more noticeable on the offroad coils as they are progressive. The more they are compressed, the stiffer they are. This is why replacing the coils with aftermarket like ome or eibach is a better choice as they are longer in length to provide the lift without preloading which gives a better ride. I've set the 5100's at all the setting on multiple tacomas/4runners. I've also ran OME's and Eibachs. I feel that for the least amount of money, Ome coils paired with 5100's are good though Ome's paired with ome shocks are better but cost a bit more.

3. Sep 29, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    Think about it. The coil may be preloaded within the strut assembly more but on the truck its compressed the same amount. The amount it takes to hold the weight of the truck.

4. Sep 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I have 5100 Bilsteins wth Eibach 650 lbs springs with the Toytec coilover kit and SPC upper control arms. In the back, I have Arcan leafs, that raised 3 inches from factory; hence the coilovers. I'd not consider Bilstein products cheap, if anything they have a solid worldwide reputation. My Taco rides smoother now with the new Bilsteins (had to replace the 5100 I bought 4 years ago, due to rust on the bottom bolt) and though yes the Eibach to help smoothing things out, the new control arms are a dandy. The old factory control arms had the bushings crapped out. That and the fact that I don't have mega big tires, helps with ride quality. My BF Goodrich KO are 265/75/16

Products Discussed in

To Top