1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with my dog's selective aggresiveness

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Trucko, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Mar 7, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    Trucko

Trucko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    arb bull bar Smittybulit 9.5 winch topper shell with yakima basket piaa lights toytec boss coilovers Dakar leaf pack with boss shocks 28/75/16 bfg at ko2 Midland CB Home made trailer with CVT Mount Rainer tent and max coupler hitch
    Please help with your opinion.

Here is my story. I have an older dog that is 11 that i have had since college and she is perfect. When my girlfriend now wife were deciding to get married have kids get the house and what not we wanted to get another puppy that was not so old for the kid. It was perfect. We found an adoption/rescue agency and went to go look at a litter. We sat in the back yard played with all the puppies and made the decision to pick up Bailey and adopt her. Not a lot of info about her since she was a rescue so we did all the proper vet visits and got her fixed at the appropriate time and got her perfect. My wife who is a teacher spent all summer with our new dog Bailey researching and training her for being around kids. Life is great we have two beautiful healthy boys and she is great with them. They can literally do anything to bailey and she is fine. not scared not aggressive nothing. she loves it or gets up and walk away. everything sounds perfect right. Its not.

We have a neighbor boy and we live in town homes that is 7 years old. When we first moved in they were great friends and would play. As he grew up he has started to have some aggressive tendency to my dog with shouting at her to waiving sticks and shovels and being a bully. One day she nipped at him. Myself and the other parent were present no one saw anything we moved on. This happened again and still no one saw anything but the parent said my dog left a mark and we moved on. The next day we decided that my dog should now always be on leash and my next door neighbor kid would stay on his side. Done right. Nope.

Last weekend I was out front with my two dogs. The old college dog chilling like usual Bailey on leash and next to me. Boys were playing and the next door kid had a friend over and they wanted to play with my son in our snow fort. My dog was on leash and with me when the neighbor kid got to close and she nipped him again. I was present this time and grabbed my dog and put her inside and got my wife and waited till the other parents came out to discuss. They were not screaming mad just happy we cared. They said nothing about what they want us to do she said thanks for caring. My wife did look at the child injury i did not and it was 3 small marks of red like a bit of blood came out but did not look like a bite according to her. A few day passed and i asked the mom if the kid was OK and she said he was sore but fine but still nothing and passed over it quickly thanking me for caring. Now what do I do. My dog has an issue with the neighbor kid.

Here are a few last bits of the story. Neighbors dad is transgender, and transitioning so that kids life must be rough Dad becoming a lady. My mom is at the school a lot and see the kid in trouble all the time. He is a menace to the neighborhood and is generally unsupervised and unruly. The biggest catch for me is this last twist. the girl that is the same age as the neighbor boy was helping my son put toys away on the porch and came between my son the dog and the house on the porch while she was on leash and she said she nipped her so in reality it is two kids or is it.

I dont want to put the neighbor kids at risk or danger at all or my family because of this. Humans come first no matter what even brats, but i want to keep my dog and i am placing blame on this child and my dogs interaction with the child. Wish i said no to them playing in my yard i wish i would have called the parents out these last few years when i saw this behavior I wish i had done more to not be in this predicament. What does TW say. I really deep down dont think my dog would ever harm my child or any child except for this one neighbor that she associates with being mean to her, but you never know. HELP PLEASE. way hard to deal with and i am a wreck.

2. Mar 7, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    A dog not liking one person isn't the sign of an aggressive dog.

Keep your dog better attended, and keep your neighbor away from your dog.

If he's a biter of the one person on several occasions.. I've put a dog down for that.

I wouldn't do it unless it was a last resort for safety of others or if the dog was behaviorally aggressive.

Kyitty likes this.
  3. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    arb bull bar Smittybulit 9.5 winch topper shell with yakima basket piaa lights toytec boss coilovers Dakar leaf pack with boss shocks 28/75/16 bfg at ko2 Midland CB Home made trailer with CVT Mount Rainer tent and max coupler hitch
    She for sure has an issue with the one kids but my only concern is the nip at the neighbor girl when she was helping put toys away. separate instance or multiple with that one fact. I did not see the instance on the porch with the girl. Girl did not freak out or scream or even tell her parents now that i think about it. She just said the dog bit her and moved on. She is a herding dog and i dont want to punish the bread for loving her family and nipping to protect versus aggressive and an attack.

4. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Burnett

Burnett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98' Xtra cab v6 4x4 evergreen pearl
    Bilsteins 5100's & 5125's, OME Dakar leafs Custom toolbox Custom bedstep/towhook/reverse light combo Custom Bedrack
    Ya just make it clear to the kid to stay away from the dog. The dog was just acting on instinct. Animals are more intune with their senses than we are. The kid is probably a bad egg.

5. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Even when it has now been two kids technically.

6. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    Cesar Milan :notsure:

7. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Training for sure is an option. I really just want to know if the nice girl across the street being nipped should worry me about my dog being aggressive, because the neighbor boy is the main stressor and she is the same age as him

8. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    desertrunner24

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    the dnk(damn neighbor kid) needs to stop antagonizing the dog. put the two of them together supervised and let the kids so the dog that she can trust him. she is only acting in self defence cause the dnk is being aggressive towards her. it may take time but it might be all you can do

Cazzwell likes this.
  9. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    what about the girl across the street. technically its two times or at least a lawyer would probably say twice.

10. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    tcBob likes this.
  11. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    desertrunner24

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    they should be introduced with a muzzle and Bailey should be shown that she can trust them other wise she is going to protect her self and you

12. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    For sure the dnk is the main issue for sure. we joke if we won the lottery and move this wold not be an issue

13. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    really good idea thanks

14. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I'd say, stay away from my dog and my property or you're at risk of my dog protecting its territory.

If the dog runs across the street and eats her then you're fucked. But if she's in your yard, a dog is being a dog.

Talk to the family, make it clear the dog has an issue with the person(s) and tell them to stay away from your damn dog.

This isn't that complicated.

Kyitty and desertrunner24 like this.
  15. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    All ok am i breaking any forum rules i am not aware of. Side not i do have an appointment with my vet. Trying to do everything correct. The neighbor i am referencing is in the police force so....

16. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    No no problems at all. Just specifying the thread title so people don't think you're in an emergency situation needing aide.

All good. Bob (or you) can edit the title to something more specific.

17. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    never thought of accidentally sending the wrong message to all the good people of TW that are always so willing and able to help someone in need. Do i have the ability to edit and if so i will

18. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    title has been changed. its like a free bump

T4RFTMFW and desertrunner24 like this.
  19. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    Trucko

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Summit County Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    see all you lurkers out there any other thoughts

20. Mar 7, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    CelsisTaco

CelsisTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Des Monies, IA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    2 inch lift. LED fog lights (Cali fab) Alpine head unit. Kicker door speakers. Skar subwoofer.
    I had a beautiful yellow lab named Jessie. (just put her down a month or two ago..)
    Anyways, when she was a pup she was super aggressive and actually got taken away for 14 days, we were not allowed to see her, or anything, very sad! Thankfully we got a electric fence, and it seemed to really help, we also put up a sign saying do not pet the dog. It seems like it's a young immature dog kind of thing, and maybe yours will grow out of it! I would tell the parents and the kids to stay away from your dog, or if they are over keep the dog inside..
    just my .2

Products Discussed in

To Top