1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP with ome shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by automoto, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    automoto

automoto [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    I have new OME shocks i'm installing next weekend, and was looking at the front set today, they only came with the spring seat, a washer, and a nut. There were no rubber grommets in there either. Do i need to buy a new top plate piece(the black part on top with the three bolts) or can i reused the old one frome the factory strut??

Also i'm putting on a top plate spacer, does anyone have a picture of how/where to put it, and tips how to do so???

2. Feb 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can reuse the stock top strut cup. Depending on the condition of the rubber isolators you can reuse them as well.

That top plate spacer will go on top of that three stud top cup. So you'll bolt every thing together with the spring compressed...then take it outta the compressor and slid that spacer over the top of the whole thing...then slide the whole into the mount on the frame and tighten them up.

Clear as mud??

3. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    automoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    ahhhh ok i think i gotcha. You have dakars IIRC right?? Stupid question but is there a left/right differentiation in the leaf packs, and which side goes forward there is one side that already has the bushings in it and the other doesn't:confused:

4. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Almost there

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    AFE pro dry s, Husky X-act Contour
    and if you have the 1/4" then you need to punch out the stock studs from the top plate and put in the new longer studs into the top plate otherwise you wont be able to thread them onto the truck

5. Feb 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wish I had the dakars...but I haven't gotten the $ or the approval from the banker (aka my wife) yet.

So I'm not sure. I'm going to guess there is a front and a back....The length of the center pin to the bushing should indicate which end goes forward. Also make sure to get the rear end alignment checked after you do the install. (It's not really technically "adjustable" but it can be manipulated to almost perfect...)

6. Feb 14, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    automoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    how do you go about checking the rear alignment? after the lift i'm going to have it aligned is that what you mean??

7. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    When they do the alignment for these trucks- Most of the time they just ignore the rear end. It's not easily adjustable.

But when you drop the springs off and replace them. It's entirely possible to have them misaligned-Not wildly- but the potential is there to do some damage to the diff and to tire after tire after tire.

When they align it after the lift- Get them to check the angles on the rear. I had to loosen up the UBolts and move the axle around a bit to get it...but my thrust angle is now .01....Better than when I bought it.

To Top