1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with rattle please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tbird, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    Tbird

Tbird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    I spent part of the afternoon disassembling my dash today to find an very annoying rattle. Turns out it wasn't in/behind the dash. IT IS THE EMERGENCY BRAKE.

Only rattles when I go over bumps or on dirt roads (which I do a lot of). It seems to be the piece of the pedal that catches the teeth when you press it down. It rattles when not engaged of course. Anybody else had this issue? How do I shut this thing up?

Thanks for any help.

2. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Never heard of it. Try adjusting it under the center console. That'll pull some slack out of the cable and hopefully help.

3. Apr 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Tbird

Tbird [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    Upon further investigation...I've completely identified the piece that is rattling. I don't think tightening the cable will do anything. I can't believe that this rattle is happening to others. Seems like it would be common. There is a little spring at the bottom of the foot pedal for the emergency brake. When the brake is released the little gear that this spring engages into the teeth that holds the brake is loose and rattles. I can't figure out how to make it stop floating free when the brake is not engaged.

Products Discussed in

To Top