1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help With Replacing Brake Lines

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Beau02, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    I've been searching around and haven't found any instructions for the process of replacing brake lines. Anybody know if that 'how-to' exists on the forum? I'm curious about both the process of removing and reinstalling the lines as well as the correct order of steps for draining the system/lines prior to the job (I'm planning to replace the fluid while I'm at it). Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you talking about replacing the entire system (lines)?

Or are you talking about replacing the rubber lines on the front & rear?

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 AM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (190k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ K&N air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Just the flexible lines front & rear. My truck is getting up there on miles and the brakes are really spongy so I'm going to replace the brake fluid. I figured I'd go ahead and replace the lines as well with some braided stainless so I know there good for the long haul.

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:29 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
  5. Jan 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Google is your friend.
    http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm

Installing the lines should be fairly easy - although I can't remember how I personally did it on my 96 tacoma. It was a LONG time ago.

Just take the old ones off and put the new ones on. WATCH carefully as you take the lines off the calipers. There could be a crush washer inbetween the caliper & block(end of brake line). These crush washers CAN NOT be used again. You'll have to buy new ones. I'm not sure the tacoma has these crush washers or not. Most other vehicles I've worked on had them...

To Top