1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Herculiner?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Country, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:04 AM
    Country

Country [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    So i bought herculiner bed liner kit today at autozone for $90, I plan on using it to cover my sliders and my new bumper. I want to use this cuz it is tought rugged and is cheaper than paying for line-x. Give me some input on what you guys think of this product and some does and donts when applying it to metal surfaces

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 1:14 AM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    sand down the surface real good so it can adhere well to it. rubber gloves and long sleeve shirt pants cover your whole body. i got this shit on my hands and stayed on it for at the least 2 weeks.... i used all the soap i had in my house as well lol, it makes you want to just dig and dig the crap out of your skin.. not fun. on the other hand, herculiner is a great liner, gives a nice rough surface, it tends to fade in the sun after a while though

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Thick rubber gloves (the ones that you keep). Disposable rubber gloves won't work, as the Herculiner eats through them.

Wear disposable shoes & clothes. It will not wash out. If you get it on your skin, get it off ASAP. If it dries....try not to scrub, you could end up with a rash.

Buy disposable pans, brushes, etc. Foam cups don't work, it'll eat through them.

It can fade in the sun but you can use tire-shine to make it look black and pretty again. DO NOT use tire shine on any areas that you'll be stepping on, it'll make it slippery as shit!!

After several years, you may need to reapply it in certain areas. The thinner areas can wear off over time if exposed to the weather. The good thing about Herculiner, is its soooooooo damn easy to do touch-ups.

Try to use ALL of the stuff in the can. It doesn't fair well when stored for long periods and just not good when you try to use it again after its been sitting around too long.

4. Feb 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    Country

Country [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    ok thanks for the input, but if it fades in a few years can I just spray paint over it, and how bad is the fading

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    mine is grey, and is peeling because i didnt sand it down well enough, but herculiner also sells the UV top coat which i have yet to try.. suppose to keep it nice and black....

6. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
  7. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It also might get 'thin' in areas over the years also. <---- that might be worse than the actual fading aspect of it (atleast it was for me).

I did my 96 tacoma bed. Most of it was underneath a tonneau cover, so it never faded or wore thin. The 2" strip around the top of the bed (over-the-rails) that I painted that was exposed to the weather....actually wore off down to the red paint after 3+ years. The rubber in the Herculiner stayed in place. I bought a quart can and repainted those areas, took about 15 minutes to do.

Personally...I wouldn't paint it. In a few years....you're far better off getting a quart can of Herculiner and repainting it. Chances are, by the time it fades....it's probably getting thin anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top