1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Herculining Fender Flares

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Will Prerunner, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jan 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    After seeing some of the pics on here I decided I wanted to do somethin to my fender flares. I wanted something that I could spray on. I bought these two cans do do some testing.
    036.jpg.
    I sprayed a few coats on a subway cup and let them dry. The duplicolor is a little more rubbery, and smoother than the rustoleum. On looks alone I would have gone with the duplicor. Then I started to scrape them. with just a scrape of the fingernail the duplicor flaked off.
    033.jpg
    The rustoleum was alot harder to scrape off. Decided to go with it.
    034.jpg.
    I didn't want to take of the flares because I didn't want to have to buy new plastic clips that I knew would be brittle from the sun. I had some cheap sleds made of really thin plastic material, that I slipped in between the flare and the car, thin strong cardboard would work also. I then masked off all around.
    032.jpg.
    I then ruffed them up a little with a sanding pad, wiped them down with acetone, primed them with plastic primer, and hit them with about 5 thin coats of rustoleum truck bed liner.
    035.jpg.
    I kind of like the shiny look, and hit them with a little clearcoat while it was still tacky. Not sure yet if this was a good idea. Here is the front finished.
    039.jpg.
    Did the same thing with the back.
    037.jpg.
    I didn't like the look up inside the flares where is a white undercoating. With the 2" lift it looks funny, so I hit the underside with a black rustoleum undercoating and it looks alot better.
    038.jpg
    I only got the flares done on 1 side of the truck for now but I definitely like them.

2. Jan 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    looks good man.

3. Jan 9, 2010 at 2:10 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Good job, im likeing the look. :thumbsup: I wanna see a 2nd gen with bed liner on the flares.

4. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    I used rustoleum bedliner on my front bumper and flares also. But the big thing is primer and drying process.

P1030154_d5dcea629057096df553d497474895dfeaf55b9f.jpg

5. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    This thread just put me over the top- My flares are getting shot at some point soon with this stuff.

Might even do along the rocker panels too...

6. Jan 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    Has anybody with a white truck done it to their rocker panels? I'm trying to get an idea of what it would look like.

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the point of painting the already plastic and black fender flares?

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    After they sit out in the sun for a few years they get all scratched up and turn an ugly milky white, you can clean them up but within a few days they are back to looking the same way. Look at my 1 before pick and you can see what I mean.

9. Jan 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gotcha.. Ha! You guys in AZ don't have to worry about snow and rust but does have to worry about excessive sun.. lol..

10. Jan 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I will be doing mine soon. I didn't know rustoleum made bedliner.

11. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I like it! I might have to consider this.. I'm having to applying Back to Black every other car wash, or so. to keep them shiny black.

12. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    04prerunner

04prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    damn i just got my truck and ive wanted to do the same thing!! looks good. I have the red impulse color. 2004. I hope i can do this soon. so u did recommend the rustoleum?

13. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Yup, If your going to use a spray I would recommend the rustoleum. Should be like 7 bucks at Wal-Mart. Heres a better pic of it done.
    005.jpg

14. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    04prerunner

04prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    tampa, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2004 prerunner
    stock
    well done. looks good

15. Jul 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    Troutbum18

Troutbum18 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner
    Thinking of doing this to my 2000 prerunner. My flares match the body color at the moment, but there's bubbling and peeled clear coat, so I figured I'd spice them up and go ahead and paint them black. Thought I'd sand the current stuff down, spray them with plastic primer, and go at it with something like what you used.

Does anyone know if I need to get down to bare plastic (or close to), or just sand off the clear coat, prime, and spray?

Products Discussed in

To Top