1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hesitation/slipping on acceleration while engine cold

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ACREYMAN, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Jun 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    ACREYMAN

ACREYMAN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    4banger Auto....Searched the forums and did not see anything. This is hard to describe and once again the techs don't think anything is wrong but, when the engine is still cold and I am leaving the neighborhood I get a slight slip or hesitation in the engine while accelerating.

It is very slight but enough to feel the truck surge forward three or four times and you can hear the engine kick in also. It would be similar to completely letting off the gas and quickly getting back on it but there is no way my foot can move that fast. After the engine warms up the problem is gone and as you can imagine the problem is exaggerated when it is extremely cold outside. One thought was a bad spark plug or wire but then why would the issue correct itself when the engine warms up? Any thoughts or has anyone experienced something similar?

2. Jun 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    first I've heard of this with a 4banger... but is very common on the 6banger autos. probably would see misfires in live OBD data too... personally I think they designed these to run so far on the edge that they intentionally misfire. kind of like a drunk person driving with double vision slowly bumping into curbs to make sure they stay on the road... ;) sounds like the craziest theory ever, but you have to throw like 65,000 (not exaggerating) misfires before any codes will pop on these.

3. Jun 28, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    Could it be the engine knocking when it's cold?

4. Jun 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    Baerskin

Baerskin Rocking in the Free World

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Premium 4x4
    Stock
    I just had my first service today at Toyota. I have a similar issue with the RPM shooting up when the engine is colder. The tech was very helpful and explained a lot, basically what he explained is "thats how these guys run now a days. Once its warm it goes away correct?". Its true it does go away after about 10 minutes of running. It's a big frustrating.

5. Jun 28, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    ACREYMAN

Member:
    DFW
    65000?
    Nah it isn't a loud "knocking" noise.

6. Jun 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM
    ACREYMAN

Member:
    DFW
    Man these things are all over the map. My RPM's start to drop but again, its very quick so and its almost like the engine is completely cutting out but starts up right where it left off. Kinda like starting a lawn mower and you can hear it cutting in and out as it warms up till it eventually runs real smooth.

7. Jun 28, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    Defroster on? Air conditioner helps with defrost and bumps rpm when it kicks in. Might happen if you are just idling down the road, once on the gas it shouldn't lurch.

8. Jun 28, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Sounds to me like your auto tranny is low on fluid....do you have an auto..?
    If you are low...it will slip when cold and then when warms the fluid expands enough to make it run better...
    If you have the auto...First thing to do is make sure it's full to the proper level.... A physical check must be done...NOT a computer check by the Tech....

tomwil likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top