1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hi all Im new with pics of my recent tachometer installation

Discussion in 'New Members' started by interst8er, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    interst8er

interst8er [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    Its red
    Header installed and the balance shafts removed. Bilstien front coil overs. Installed an instrument cluster from a 4cyl 4runner that had a factory tachometer. Polished Western Slot Mags. New cylinder head and new bearings and counter shaft in the trans.
    Hi all

I'm new with pics of my recent tachometer installation. Just thought of doing so because a factory tach for a 1996 4cyl Tacoma is hard to come by in my experience.

I got the instument cluster from a '96 2.7L 4 Runner. Yes, I said 4 Runner. I could'a installed just about any aftermarket tach with ease but I wanted a factory look. I had to use a 4 Runner because I couldn't find a cluster from a Tacoma of the same year as my truck on Ebay that had a tach for a 2.7L.

FirstI swapped my original cable speedometer in to the 4 Runner cluster that had a electronic speedo. Then I removed the upper mounting tabs from my Tacoma cluster to the 4 runner cluster. Finally I rewired all of the relavent circuts for my truck.

Oh yea. I found some chrome Toyota stickers to cover up the trip counter and reset hole. Also, I plastic welded the the Tacoma clear face to the 4 Runner cluster that originally had a hole for the trip reset button.

2012-12-09_12-52-10_793.jpg
    2012-12-09_09-31-56_42.jpg
    2012-12-09_13-57-08_479.jpg
    2012-12-09_13-57-38_190.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Razgriz

Razgriz wtf am i reading

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD 4x4
    oooo. I like that. Very nice!

Welcome to TW as well

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    interst8er

interst8er [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    Its red
    Header installed and the balance shafts removed. Bilstien front coil overs. Installed an instrument cluster from a 4cyl 4runner that had a factory tachometer. Polished Western Slot Mags. New cylinder head and new bearings and counter shaft in the trans.
    Thanks. The job ended up being easier than I thought it would be.

Products Discussed in

To Top