1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HI LIFT jacks

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 05tacoSPORT, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Nov 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    JohnNP

JohnNP ForeRunners Future Wife :)~

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport JBL
    As of 11/4/15 1) Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod 2) ND4SPDBP's Fog Light Mod 3) Devil Horn Emblem 4) Weathertech Digital Floor Liners 5) ADD W-1 Vers 2 Baffled Oil Catch Can- constantly surprised at how much oil this thing captures 6) Weatherproof Under the rail LED bedlights Warm White (by Mattgecko) with hidden small cubby switch 7) Sliding Window Security Bar 8) Hood Lighting Kit Warm White /Pro Kit (by BeeRad) 9) Morimoto mini D2S retrofit HID lights w/ 55W ballasts and XB 5000k bulbs from TRS- one of the best modifications I have ever made, blows the stock lights out of the water 10) ImMrYo bracket 11) Scangauge II 12) Autodimming mirror w/ Compass/Temperature/Homelink 13) Bedrug Mat and Tailgate rug. 14) Pop n Lock Power tailgate lock w/ bolt coded to factory key. 15) Map Light w/ Door Mod 16) BakFlip HD Tonneau Cover 17) 35% Front windows ceramic tint - a very good match to factory 19) Gerber machete, because every truck needs a machete 20) Various flashlights, really love my Black Diamond Miner Mole Headlamp 21) AFE Pro Dry drop in filter 22) removed secondary charcoal air filter 23) Back up light Mod- I used the light bulb as found on page 14, 35W from Lowes. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/886-backup-light-mod.209578/page-14 24) Hi-Lift Off Road Recovery Kit- thank you TW Secret Santa 25) Tailgate Seal 26 interior footwell/rear seat dome light controlled LEDS https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/footwell-and-rear-seat-led-light-dome-switched-mod-lots-of-pics.409428/#post-11529460 27) pelfrybilt aluminum front skid 28) morimoto XB fog lights 29) mob town front recovery bar with 2 Smitty bilt D-Rings 30) 48" Extreme Hi-Lift Jacks w/ ATO rail mounts 31) Prinsu rack 32) Rigid D2 Ditch lights 33) 40" Heretic LED bar on Prinsu Rack 34) Kawell x 6 side lights 2 spot and 1 wide per side 35) Rigid SRQ2 x 2 rear facing asshole/backup lights 36) NSA switch panel to 150amp bussman fuse on custom made mount 37) 267/70/17 BFG KO2's in C rating Pending installation 1) Rock Lights Upcoming/Possible Mods 1) Katzkin Leather Seats in black/ice grey (supposedly better factory match for the 2014) w/ Degreeze heater/cooling and TRD stitched into the seat faces thru jhuey - once I get to Arizona will buy them and have him install them 3) Total chaos UCA's 4) Kinda want to get some of the 2016 TRD Sport Rims or the grey TRD wheels the FJ cruiser/4Runners have. 5) BAMF LCA Skids 6) ICON or KING coilover 8) BAMF hidden grill light mounts 9) 20" or 30" LED light by Rigid Industries for behind the Grill. . 10) full leave pack maybe the Deaver 10 leaf set 11) ? Warn m8000 winch- really depends on if I end up doing more off roading 12) Possibly a console vault, not entirely convinced those are as secure as they would have you believe.
    I'm just curious why not inside the bed? I'd be afraid of some spring or pin getting lost. Parts always seem To mysteriously disappear. Any reason you couldn't mount it to the front??? Like to an avid light bar?

2. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    It is in the bed and will stay there when the pop up camper is not on the truck. When the camper is on... it is too full of seeping people and climbing gear to also sleep a greasy hi-lift.
    The front bumper is a common option but i have to mount the bikes, hang glider rack, ham radio antenna and the front tow package (for a receiver mounted winch) to the front bumper.

Just looking for alternatives.

3. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    As of 11/4/15 1) Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod 2) ND4SPDBP's Fog Light Mod 3) Devil Horn Emblem 4) Weathertech Digital Floor Liners 5) ADD W-1 Vers 2 Baffled Oil Catch Can- constantly surprised at how much oil this thing captures 6) Weatherproof Under the rail LED bedlights Warm White (by Mattgecko) with hidden small cubby switch 7) Sliding Window Security Bar 8) Hood Lighting Kit Warm White /Pro Kit (by BeeRad) 9) Morimoto mini D2S retrofit HID lights w/ 55W ballasts and XB 5000k bulbs from TRS- one of the best modifications I have ever made, blows the stock lights out of the water 10) ImMrYo bracket 11) Scangauge II 12) Autodimming mirror w/ Compass/Temperature/Homelink 13) Bedrug Mat and Tailgate rug. 14) Pop n Lock Power tailgate lock w/ bolt coded to factory key. 15) Map Light w/ Door Mod 16) BakFlip HD Tonneau Cover 17) 35% Front windows ceramic tint - a very good match to factory 19) Gerber machete, because every truck needs a machete 20) Various flashlights, really love my Black Diamond Miner Mole Headlamp 21) AFE Pro Dry drop in filter 22) removed secondary charcoal air filter 23) Back up light Mod- I used the light bulb as found on page 14, 35W from Lowes. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/886-backup-light-mod.209578/page-14 24) Hi-Lift Off Road Recovery Kit- thank you TW Secret Santa 25) Tailgate Seal 26 interior footwell/rear seat dome light controlled LEDS https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/footwell-and-rear-seat-led-light-dome-switched-mod-lots-of-pics.409428/#post-11529460 27) pelfrybilt aluminum front skid 28) morimoto XB fog lights 29) mob town front recovery bar with 2 Smitty bilt D-Rings 30) 48" Extreme Hi-Lift Jacks w/ ATO rail mounts 31) Prinsu rack 32) Rigid D2 Ditch lights 33) 40" Heretic LED bar on Prinsu Rack 34) Kawell x 6 side lights 2 spot and 1 wide per side 35) Rigid SRQ2 x 2 rear facing asshole/backup lights 36) NSA switch panel to 150amp bussman fuse on custom made mount 37) 267/70/17 BFG KO2's in C rating Pending installation 1) Rock Lights Upcoming/Possible Mods 1) Katzkin Leather Seats in black/ice grey (supposedly better factory match for the 2014) w/ Degreeze heater/cooling and TRD stitched into the seat faces thru jhuey - once I get to Arizona will buy them and have him install them 3) Total chaos UCA's 4) Kinda want to get some of the 2016 TRD Sport Rims or the grey TRD wheels the FJ cruiser/4Runners have. 5) BAMF LCA Skids 6) ICON or KING coilover 8) BAMF hidden grill light mounts 9) 20" or 30" LED light by Rigid Industries for behind the Grill. . 10) full leave pack maybe the Deaver 10 leaf set 11) ? Warn m8000 winch- really depends on if I end up doing more off roading 12) Possibly a console vault, not entirely convinced those are as secure as they would have you believe.
    Under the rear bumper??? I remember there's a good bit of "space" under my second gens rear maybe also in your first gen??

4. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Thanks John,

Yeah, there is a butt load of space. It fits in there with the foot and running gear attached. BUT, as i stated, i fear the day when i need a hi-lift to get to the hi-lift out from from under my bumper. Like in a muddy situation or with one wheel over a ledge or something.

I might fab my own front and rear bumper, in which case i could possibly make it accessible in any situation.

Regardless there IS space there that should be used someday.

5. Nov 30, 2015 at 10:20 PM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    Shit did t see that. Went and re read your main post. Hrmmmm, gotta think about that one.

6. Dec 1, 2015 at 5:58 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    Why don't you mount it to the back of the camper? That way, it is out of the way, but easy to get to when/if you need it.

You will probably need to reinforce the back wall to handle the weight/vibration.

Do the sides of the camper hang over the sides of the bed? Mount it to the underside of the camper along the bed rail. It shouldn't be too much of a wind drag tucked up tight to the camper.

7. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    (meaning i might be pushing the legal limit already)
    additionally: I have not built the camper nor have i 100% committed to a design because i am still waiting on the fiberglass SIPs and other parts that will dictate framing. I could design it to take the weight, i could compromise the doors and windows to have space for jerry cans and a hilift and a tire, i could. I would rather keep the back free of such items.

What about the sliders? it would be really convenient there? What problems do you foresee?

8. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    I think you're missing some very good real estate. All this talk about bumpers and sliders but why not the campers roof?

9. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM
    JohnNP

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Vehicle:
    I think it was listed in his big long post as one of the areas he already had "taken up" It's a big list of no go places.

10. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    I thought i had but not explicitly, i never spoke of my roof which is rather busy especially when shuttling hang gliders up a mountain. this is typical:[​IMG]
    Roof is sometimes and option and hi-lifts are easy to mount to a roof rack, i agree. I appreciate the suggestions and time everyone is contributing.

I do not want it on the camper or in the bed or on the roof. I don't want to take stuff off and put stuff on every time i take a camper off or put a glider on the roof...etc. It is too long for behind the seat.

lets just say i mount the bar and handle to the slider. What harm or inconvenience would come of this?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  11. Dec 1, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    You could damage the hilift if the slider actually makes contact with any rocks. It would also probably intefere with opening the door and people getting in and out of the cab.

12. Dec 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    (door clearance i can plan for)

It WILL make contact with rocks... it is a rock slider :rofl:but only the bottom and outside (lateral sides) ever touch rocks, right? and there is not enough flex to crip it up agains the car body as it holds the weight of the car when jacked.
    If the hi-lift's bar was mounted to the top of the proximal rail (square tube in my case) of the slider when would a rock reach over to the top of the slider and damage it? or are you saying the flex? I have owned (or had at work) 3 trucks with sliders and only the bottoms were ever scratched by rocks.

I believe you, just trying to visualize it. seriously, thanks for chiming in. Talking about this helps me plan, thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  13. Dec 16, 2015 at 9:03 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    This may work on your pop up:
    http://www.exploringoverland.com/ov.../4/22/a-hi-lift-jack-mount-for-the-jatac.html

14. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    thanks, yeah, i have seen them there.

15. Dec 17, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    C0d3M0nk3y

C0d3M0nk3y Well-Known Member

Member:
    2008 Tacoma Sport DCSB (silver)
    Completely different mounting option, but I went for behind the rear seat. The space is pretty much wasted there already, so I decided to make it more useful. I can always get to it when I need to, it is just a pain (as in not fast). Once it is out, I can just wrap it up and throw it in the bed until I am done with it.

I know it isn't a perfect solution, but it does work for me.

And here are some notes on the build.

ChadsPride and 4WDTrout like this.
  16. Dec 17, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    Srice57

Srice57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off-Road MT
    I went with mounts from Pelfrey and couldn't be happier with my decision!

upload_2015-12-17_12-20-47.jpg

17. Dec 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    C0d3M0nk3y

C0d3M0nk3y Well-Known Member

Member:
    2008 Tacoma Sport DCSB (silver)
    For those mounting to the side of the bed (@Srice57), how does that work? I was looking at mounting L-brackets and was trying to figure out how it would work. I haven't looked very much into it though.

How easy is it to get behind that part of the bed? Do you have to remove anything to get back there? Anything I should be aware of?

18. Dec 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    Srice57

Srice57 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off-Road MT
    It was fairly easy to install. For the mount closest to the cab, it went up through the wheel well and for the other, I went through the the storage box. Took me about 45 minutes for start to finish. Feel free to PM me for more pics or questions.

19. Dec 17, 2015 at 8:15 PM
    Cadmus

Cadmus Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Huh? well? i measured and i thought the bar was too long to fit in the cab. i will remeasure. rear seat of my double cab is pretty full of maps,first aid kits, emergency clothes, tow straps, etc. But maybe.

20. Dec 18, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Is this a 60" Jack?

Products Discussed in

To Top