1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hi-lift training

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by LBtaco, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Mar 19, 2010 at 12:22 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco [OP] Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    so I figure since my stock jack wont work on the front if I got a flat or If I got stuck off road,I thought I would pick up a hi-lift jack. Problem is I really have never used one.:confused: I understand all the details for the most part but would like some first hand experience, before I really needed to use it.
    I just ordered sliders and plan on using the sides to lift, but not sure what other gear I may need for the trail.
    what else would I need?
    some way to mount it to the bed too..

If anyone uses hi lifts and has any helpful info to pass along or maybe even wants to have a class for a noob or even noobs?? im sure there are other people that may need lessons too :D
    could maybe do a session at mod day or the next trip?

end wall of text.. thanx for reading

2. Mar 19, 2010 at 12:29 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    you can buy some mounts for like $40 I think, AMIR (SandMan247) has some and he'll be at mod day if you wanna check his out. As far as training goes, I would just watch some youtube videos. Bill Burke has some very informative stuff on there.

3. Mar 19, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    The mounts are called 4xRAC or something like that. They're made by Hi Lift and 4 wheel parts sells them for about $40.

Key things to know with a hi lift:

Jack only off secure points made for doing such (sliders, aftermarket bumpers, etc.). Hi Lift makes a device that attaches to your wheel that will let you lift by that too.

Make sure the jack is on something solid. They sell a big plastic base and it's worth the money, cause if you're using the jack you're probably stuck in soft stuff.

The best way to learn really is to use the owner's manual and practice. Jack it up in front of your house, just so you know how the mechanism works and everything. It's not that complicated.

As for field use, be cognizant of the fact that it can slip (on the ground or even the mechanism could break); so don't have any soft warm parts of you that you don't want to lose anywhere near the mechanism or between the jack and something solid (the truck, the ground, etc.).

The main thing I do with my hi lift is when I get stuck, if I have nothing to winch off of, is to lift the stuck tire(s) off the ground and pile rocks under them. You can also use it if you're on the rocks and you're framed out on one or high centered.

4. Mar 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    LBtaco

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    thanx, I've been lookin at videos to see what gear I may need.

any reccomendations on type of lift? 60" ? regualr or "extreme" edition, I think I will go with the all cast versions.
    I may not even mount it to the bed but I did see the stuff 4WP has.
    looks like im going to Compton!! lol

5. Mar 20, 2010 at 1:53 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    I've got a 60" all-cast, and there is enough room to mount along the side of the bed on an AC 2nd gen. I can bring a drilling template for mounting 4X-Racks for a 60" if I make it to mod day. Just make sure to use big fender washers or some sort of backing plate to bolt the racks in to the composite bed.

I went with the all-cast for better strength, and mainly went with the 60" over the 48" because it was less than $5 more expensive (4WP was having a sale at the time), so I figured it's better to have it and not need it....

6. Mar 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    LBtaco

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    well, i just picked up the 60" extreme , handle keeper thingy and winch kit from 4WP in the CPT.
    funds are running short so I'll have to wait on the jack mate and anything else that may pop up. still need some way to mount it, but no worries. I'll check out what people got at mod day.
    thanx

7. Mar 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Hi Lift's are great, but definitely dangerous...even when you know how to use them. Here are a few tips I've learned. There is a picture in this link of a Hi Lift lifting from a slider.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/79451-got-sliders-slider-build-05-tacoma.html

Going up:

#1. remove the poly handle holder if it has one, the handle needs full travel to the beam to work right.

#2. keep the holes free of rust and debris or the pins won't climb correctly and may stick
    (this why mine has a cover on it)

#3. Make sure the foot is secure and won't slide off whatever your under and jacking from.

Going down:

#1. pop the lever down hard with the palm of your hand...the jack won't fall if there's pressure on it

#2. when lowering, watch out, the handle wants to slam the beam, so watch your fingers

#3. As soon as there's no more pressure on the jack, it'll fall/slide to the bottom of the beam.

Products Discussed in

To Top