1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hi Lift Use - A Coutionary Tale

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Jonyd182, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  2. Apr 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Not the first this has happened to, nor the last. Another member here had his slip into his door if it makes you feel better. Glad you're okay. Chain binders can do this too, BTW.

This was posted 3 days ago on a local forum.

Also, sometimes if they slip they can go on a frenzy and jack hammer until your truck falls all the way down.

3. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    ^Yup. Never have anything in the path of those bad boys. Don't use your arms to lever it, use your body weight and lever down with it. So if it goes nuts or slips out of your hands you'll fall back and out of the way.

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    i know this is an old thread, but i am going to bring it back.

It states in the operating manual for the hi lift and on the safety label that the handle must be in the full upright and locked position (using the factory little metal clip) before you pop the trigger down. Or the handle will fling up and the jack will drop. When you lower, the weight of the car is on the handle on the "up stroke".

When i got my hi lift i was testing it out using the winch method. i had the handle in the open/down position with some tension on the jack. I popped the trigger down and the handle flew back and the jack let all pressure off it. I did not get hurt, but i immediately read the manual and safety information (which states to NOT do what i just did).

This all goes to show that you need to read the paperwork. The hi lift is a great tool, but can be dangerous if not used properly.

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    and my second widow maker incident... If I had cared and followed my own rules it never would of happened, but if you leave a hi lift unattended while sitting in moss with 1/2 your truck up shit happens

[​IMG]

it'll buff right out :)

Products Discussed in

To Top