1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hi/Low Aux reverse light?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by flightcancled, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled [OP] Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    So my neighbor has a black civic she insists on parking across the street behind me which is almost invisable at night. I am convinced I am going to hit it or something else backing up in the dark one day thanks to the tinted glass in my cap. I have installed aux reverse lights under my bumper for now, but what I really want is to find a new bulb that I can use to replace my OEM reverse bulbs for a clean look and no worries about a rock taking out one of the lights. I came across this thread;
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/75918-brighter-reverse-light-mod.html

and while this is close to what I want what I really am looking for is a HI/LO bulb I can wire such that when I hit a switch I have super bright reverse lights but when I am just maneuvering in a parking lot I'm not blinding people.

Any ideas on where I can find such a bulb, or even what size the OEM one is? How would I wire that?

Thanks!

2. Mar 6, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Also I am running wires inside my cab and am trying to figure out how the factory routed wires to uder the seats. Any one know? I could just go across from the center console without it being noticeable, but I am sure it would slowly drive me crazy.

3. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    Jreaka13

Jreaka13 COLORADO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma extended bed Sport
    Everything that i have done so starting first with the shell, westin sportsman front grill,PIAA fog lights, westin rear light guards, dee-zee side steps, Nice upgradred rims and tires, dvd player,12 inch sub, Halo headlights, K&n Cold air intake, bed mat......
    first off go to your parts store and order the 886 sylvania bulb... you pill need a cutoff wheel to trim the plug... that will fix your light issue.. secondly i have installed several things in my truck.. the best route for under the seats is to open your door.. remove your door sill... and you will be able to slightly lift up the carpet it should be enough room for your hands mine barely fit.. anyways you can route your wires under the carpet and out of the hole where your seaat controls are just make sure to give yourself enough slack o move the chair forward and back.. but that way the wires are completley hidden... i know... i am the same way when it comes to seeing things like wires where they do not belong!! Good Luck!!!!

4. Mar 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Is that a hi/lo? How do I wire it, two currents with different voltages?

5. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    What about mounting a fog lamp below the rear bumper aimed rearward? Just install a separate switch for that lamp.

You might need to wire it to the reverse lamps for it to be legal (so it can't easily be switched on while driving forward). Easy to do with a relay.

6. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    09TRDSpt

09TRDSpt African Light Infantry

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Why not back into your drive? When I used to have to park on city streets I always backed into a spot to keep from getting pinned in.

7. Mar 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    TaComatoseSR5

TaComatoseSR5 Mud Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 05' SR5 Access Cab 3" lift
    3" Toytec lift (coils and aal), 285/75/16 terra grapplers, HID conversions,led taillights, grillcraft grill, on board air with air horn
    when I did my hid upgrade I took my factory fog light bulb, wired it to the reverse light factory wiring, and siliconed them into the tail light. they worked great I have dark tint on my truck too and the bulbs did help alot. I broke those taillights and I havent converted my new ones. I might take it one step further with a stronger bulb (maybe my factory headlight bulbs) and a relay and a switch so I can turn them on whenever. the lenses should be fine and it does keep the clean look.

8. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    You could do a dual bulb setup. If there's room in there for another bulb, you could drill a hole and put a brighter bulb in a screw-in socket. That way you can retain the stock reverse light, and be able to light up the brighter bulb when you need it without worrying about voltages and such.

9. Mar 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    flightcancled

Member:
    Hmm that is a good idea, I still have my stock headlight bulbs lying around, hadn't thought of that. What I was thinking is that since people have been cutting the bottoms off of headlights and popping them in to figure out what the difference is that causes the Hi/Lo effect and doing that. It might be as simple as a resistor lowering the voltage.

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    flightcancled

Member:
To Top