1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Fog lights?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bdwsrjoe, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    If im looking at the adjustment screw, what will make them go down? clockwise or counter clockwise?

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Kyle

Kyle Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
    I dont agree with you. The fogs actually put out more light then the head lights. They do not shoot as far but way wider and they increase visibility considerably. I know if i am driving in the mountains and i cant see the sides of the road turn the fogs on and everything is visible. Dont mean to argue just stating my opinion. :)

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    I dont think he likes HID's......

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    You should.
    Driving in traffic with ANY fogs on=tool

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Kyle, that's what fogs are for - to see to the sides. You're not arguing. I'd agree with you. :) Fogs will help you see the shoulders on curvy roads at reasonable speeds.

It is not possible for the stock fogs on our trucks to put out more light than our headlights though. That is not possible, because they are a lower wattage than our stock 55W/60 headlights. The beam pattern is certainly different though, and they're more effective up close and to the sides, than headlights.

Again, you're using them correctly. It's the people running fogs on all the time, rain or shine, at highway speeds that are not getting any use out of them.

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    ... oh... the adjustment for the fogs. I don't know which way to turn them to go up (or down)... if you're aiming them at a garage door or something, it will be apparent which way they're going. You can watch the beam go up or down while turning the adjustment.

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    Kyle

Kyle Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
    Totally agree with you for sure. If people are on a mountain or in the desert put them on but not on a two way highway for one its illegal and for two its fucking blinding. You have to use them with respect in mind i believe.

8. Feb 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    bootboiler

bootboiler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Santa Cruz
    Camberg UCA's, locking tailgate, hid driving lights, B 5100's, OME HD Leafs, bud built plates, Relentless rear bumper, sliders with kick, breathers on pumpkins, satochi grill, bed lights, JVC 730BT Head Unit, Finch Four Wheel Camper FWC, 1Up bike rack, 265/75 16 tires
    Did plug them right in or run a separte Harness? I have the DMM 35's, 55's seems a bit hot for that small area, to me...

Wondering if I should run them with a new harness, rather than the stock one.

9. Feb 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    WOW! I disagree totally. I Have recently done a fog light retro with HID projectors and I don't think you could be farther from the truth. Much better IMO. I drive to work everyday early early morning hours, over 2 lakes 80% of the time the fog is very thick. HID's cut it. really a big difference since i have done the retro, much better visibility IMO.

10. Mar 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    DOUBLEJTACOMA

DOUBLEJTACOMA Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Jasper, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out SR5
    -Black Halo Projector Headlights with HIDs -Black Billet Grille -Night Shaded Tail Lights -Exhaust (Magnaflow) -URD 2.7L Supercharger (soon, may need help)
    I agree 100%

Products Discussed in

To Top