1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Group Buy...Details inside

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by slimsdepot, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Oct 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Well one is a normal ballast which is what was sold on this previous GB (great ballast) and there is a second type which is slim if you have a tight space to install or just want a smaller ballast. Both are great and both do the same but one is very thin vs. the regular ballast.

2. Oct 2, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    GaruKim

GaruKim Member

Member:
    Lowcel....that is one of the sexiest hid setups ive seen in a long time. I got a kit from you slim because i want to keep my yellow low beam and im giving my friend the other ballast/bulb for his bike.

3. Oct 2, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    Stupid hurts.

Stupid hurts. Hoogie boogie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    '07 5-Lug Impluse Red Pearl Access Cab 2WD
    American Motorsports Front Long Travel Kit, Total Chaos Rear Dual Shock Hoop Kit, Engage 50T Leaf Pack, Engage Front & Rear Hangers, American Motorsports Shackles
    I was looking at the TN link posted earlier and looks like that person drilled to mount the relay. Is there any way you can post your DIY installation method that doesn't require any drilling? Also, I think I'm going to try to avoid using zip ties to mount the ballasts.

4. Oct 2, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Got mine done today no pics though sorry I was single handed and in a rush, I finally got called to go to work so i'll be gone for a few weeks.

5. Oct 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I believe there's no way to mount the ballasts without zipties, 3M double sided automotive tape, or drilling somewhere to mount them with screws.

6. Oct 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    He actually didn't drill if you look at the picture and look at your truck where he mounted it there is an open hole that is threaded for a screw. That is also where I put my relay harness and it screwed in perfectly. I will try and get a picture up tomorrow there is no flash on my iphone and its pretty dark out.

7. Oct 3, 2008 at 1:03 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I just got mine in. I'm gonna have to make a trip to the hardware store to pickup a few things to mount these, but not really sure what I want to do. I think I'll try to lay things all out tonight and figure out a plan.

8. Oct 3, 2008 at 1:08 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

there is a hole in that spot already, just put a screw on it and your good. For the ballasts: use hose clamps to secure them to your bumper horns. You can also either wrap the clamps in some electric tape or possible use some shrink tube to keep them from scratching up or rusting on your ballasts.

9. Oct 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    So, I tried to install mine tonight...

Was cruising right along until I got to the hose clamp part. I bought some 5-7" hose clamps, and they were too short to make it all the way around the bumper horns to mount the ballasts, and too long to use two of them together. I could have rigged something temporary, but decided against it. It'll have to wait until Monday.

10. Oct 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I used zip ties... not the ones it came with but stronger ones from Home Depot... They have been holding up nicely 2 on each ballast. What are the bumper horns mount? I mounted mine on the black brackets that connect the bumper by the grill on each side. Is that what you guys are talking about?

11. Oct 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I'm trying to mount them on the lower aluminum bumper blocks, as shown here:
    [​IMG]

It just seems like a better place to do it if you ask me. A couple of hose clamps, and those things aren't going anywhere.

12. Oct 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea thats a good spot that is where my fog lights are... I liked my headlights a bit higher just to be sure they stay dry majority of the time. But so far both spots work great for me. Be sure to post some pics when finished! :)

13. Oct 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this is how i mounted mine. I drilled a hole and used one of the bolts and two zip ties. I dont want that baby going anywhere!

[​IMG]

14. Oct 5, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitsap, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Aries black Bull Bar, K&N 63-series Air Intake, HID 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Redline Hood Struts, Kenwood DPX-502 headunit, JDM black headlights, black Altezza tailights, Bracketronic I-pod mount, and several more audio mods to come Debadged
    Is there some sort of trick or switch to turn for these to work. I tried to install them this morning. I got everything mounted and wires run hooked up the control box to the battery, I followed the included crapy intructions to my best ability. I pluged the 3 prong plug in and turned on my lights, and NO JOY. So after about 30 minutes of troubleshooting, I took out the HID bulbs and went back to Halogen (at least they light up). I left everything else in place with the hopes of getting some help on these. :(

15. Oct 5, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    IdahoTaco

IdahoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco 4dr 6spd TRD Offroad White
    URD short throw shifter. Walker Racing 2.5 Front Coil-overs. OME Dakar Rear Leaf Pack. Walker Evans 2.0 Rear Shocks. HID kit 5300k.
    Are you getting a good ground? One on each side?

16. Oct 5, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    The only thing that could be a problem is your ground. I'll snap a picture of where I grounded mine and have no problems.

17. Oct 5, 2008 at 3:34 PM
    Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitsap, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner SR5 TRD
    Aries black Bull Bar, K&N 63-series Air Intake, HID 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Redline Hood Struts, Kenwood DPX-502 headunit, JDM black headlights, black Altezza tailights, Bracketronic I-pod mount, and several more audio mods to come Debadged
    Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this one.

I figured it out after I did a little research on the problem. The problem was reverse polarity, I plugged the 2x pin plug in the ballast backwards. The plug nor socket is marked + or -, so I had no idea which way to go and it says nothing about it in the booklet. The plug has a key feature on it but the socket does not have its mate. God I am such an idiot, and to think I studied electric therory in college, just one of those days I guess.

18. Oct 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  19. Oct 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    :mad:

I think I got a ballast that was wired wrong :confused: One of them has totally different connectors than the other. The male and female connection from the ballast are on the left. They're not the same as the ones that were on the other ballast, and they're certainly not compatible with the connectors from the bulb. The connections from the bulb are on the right. Argh! I was about 5 minutes away from being done... All I needed to do was hook the bulb up and then hook the wire to my battery terminal and ground the other.

IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg

20. Oct 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Well, I did get one light working... I'll have to go pull everything out and put my halogens back in for the time being though.

IMG_0570-edit.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top