1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hid headlight kit???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by phatdrew, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Silver
    Debadge, 5% Tint, Kolbalt Low Pro Tool Box, Satoshi, Ebay Black Headlights, 3000k Fogs With Yellow Stain glass Paint, Fog Anytime, Mag Light Mount, Husky Floor Liners, OME 3inch With 885's, Add Leaf, 16inch Steelies, 305/70/16 Dick Cepek Mud Countries, Tiregate Bed Mount, Sock Monkey Badges
    if im getting shit from ddm do i need any of the options?
    HID Harness
    Error Code Eliminator
    Adapter Cables
    Mounting Brackets

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    The only thing I suggest is the mounting brackets. I didn't order them and ended up just double sided taping them to a flat surface. It worked ok, but I wish I had brackets.

If you just order the Hi/Low slim kit or raptor kit, it comes with 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and 1 relay kit with all the wiring you will need.

Relay Wiring
    [​IMG]

The 1 connector for the headlamps
    [​IMG]

The Bulbs
    [​IMG]

Balllasts
    [​IMG]

The connector to the ballast and ground wire and hi/low connector
    [​IMG]

Power supply wire.
    [​IMG]

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    my ddm kit in my altima 1997 has been flawless for three years......
    not sure if gonna go HID in Tacoma....

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Projector vs Reflector is not the issue as far as legality.

There are halogen projectors and HID reflectors... my G35 had reflector HIDs.

The issues are as follows:

Over 5K is not a legal color, per DOT specs. THere are no DOT approved 6K bulbs or higher color temperatures.
    Using a halogen relfector for an HID bulb is illegal. Yes, a projectors uses a reflector in its design. Sticking an HID in a halogen projoctor housing is also illegal.
    All replacement H series HID bulbs are not DOT legal.

I dont write tickets for legal HIDs in factory vehicles. I write tickets for illegal HIDs in halogen housings that do not meet DOT spec. I try to go for the vehicles that are also the most blinding, usually lifted pickups since no pickups have ever had factory HIDs (expect LincolnCadillac). In Texas, like all states, we have a section on lights and reflectors that states all lights and reflectors must meet DOT spec. Its seperate from the other lighting and reflector coding in our transportation code.

Yes, I have had speeding tickets... more than anyone I know.

Its commetns like the ones on this board that make me feel so comfortable giving the tickets for illegal HIDs, since the users feel absolutely no remorse about running the lights and blinding other drivers.

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    phatdrew

phatdrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    2" lift, 17" pro comp wheels, 285x70x17 micky t's, billet grill
    ... back to the subject...

thanks for all the info. i was also unsure about the code eliminator, harness, ect.

6. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete

Yeah, no worries. The code eliminator is for vehicles that have a light that tells you that a bulb is out. I don't know what the harness is either. When you get kit post up some pics after the install!!

7. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

This is the exact thought that crossed my mind when I read his post.

8. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    phatdrew

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    i'll def post some pics when i get the opportunity to install a kit. im in afghanistan right now but plan on doing it as soon as i get back to the states.

9. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    Kyle

Kyle Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
    Thats why if you go and ask any CHP officer or sheriff about HID's ( as long as they are up to date) they will tell you that you can put HID's in any car as long as:
    1)The lights are pointed in the right direction (not Blinding people).
    2)That the color has to be the stock yellowish or pure white. NOTHING ELSE BLUE PURPLE ECT.
    Cops shouldnt be out giving tickets for lights when they are LEGAL. Ya if someone has blue lights or they are pointed straight up pull them over and tell them to fix it. Other than that get off of us.

10. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    NelsonTacoma

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:

Afghanistan, yikes!!!:eek: Thanks for serving our country and protecting our freedom!!!:D

11. Feb 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    phatdrew

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    :oldglory: you're welcome.

12. Feb 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    X2

13. Feb 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. Im not a rookie, Im almost 40 yrs old.
    2. My state sponsors an overtime program based on traffic enforcement. We have to write traffic citations to qualify. During overtime, I am to write traffic citations. During my normal hours I write 95% warnings because my goal is crime prevention. HID tickets just happen to be an easy ticket to write when I am forced to write traffic citations... you can see illegal HIDs literally miles away.
    3. All states, California included, must have a section of code that states lights and reflectors meet DOT standards. These are federal standards. They are the same in Texas as California, unless California is not part of the United States and I missed the memo. The federal regualations on lights and reflectors is a nice 200+ page document I have printed up I bring to traffic court. Everything is detailed in there from the light dispersion patterns, maximum allowed candlpower in each section, type, size and location of filiment bulb to be used with a halogen reflector, etc.

H series HIDs (H1, H3, H7, etc) are illegal in all 50 states for this reason and are illegal for dozens of reasons. The least of which is that if you use a halogen housing there is no filament in the HID bulb which is specifically defined, there is no spec for a halogen ballast, etc. If you look at it from the other perspective and call it an HID lighting system, the bulb is not type approved for a wide number of reasons (practically any you can think of) and the bulbs are ONLY legal for offroad use.

So no, they are not legal in California, or any other state for that matter. The only officer who is going to write you a ticket is a traffic enforcement officer or one working STEP overtime. Since the budgets for many cities is so bad, you will see more and more officers working for traffic based overtime since municipalities cant afford regular overtime.

Everyone runs illegal tint too... we accept the fines and move on. Its still illegal.

14. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    chacotaco

chacotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Albuquerque & Palo Alto
    Vehicle:
    2011 SSM TRD SPORT DCLB
    Black Snugtop XtraVision Sleep Deck.
    Rep for you. Your awesome.
    Ok, I have a burning question.
    The Retrofit Source sells retro kits that allow you to use a projector, a 35w ballast, and a D2S bulb. (These bulbs are used in some Lexus from factory).
    What is the legality of performing a retro. I am thinking of doing mine again to my new Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top