1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID HELP!!! One not working

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MDBigRed, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Oct 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    MDBigRed

MDBigRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    I recently bought an HID fog light and HID hi/low kit from the last group buy on TW. I wired everything up today and the fogs work! however, the passenger side headlight does not. On the driver's side i mounted the relay and hooked everything up (which works). I re-checked all of my wiring and there is nothing wrong.

WHAT I DID NOTICE is that the relay has a plug that fits in to the factory headlight wiring harness, and there is not one of these on the passenger side. The OEM plug is simply hanging disconnected. Any ideas?? thanks

2. Oct 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB - Super White
    SOLD!
    Only one of your OEM plugs that went to each headlight is used (driver side). The passenger side is not used. What happens is when your truck sends voltage to the original harness, it triggers the relay that is hooked up to the HID kit, when this happens power is sent to the HID ballasts. You need to make sure that all of your grounds are properly connected to bare metal and not on top of any painted surfaces. If the surface you are grounding to is painted, scrape the paint off first. check all of your connects again if this doesn't work. If all else fails plug the bulb that is in question into the other side that is currently working. This will help eliminate the possibility of a bad bulb. If the bulb works, you most likely have a faulty ballast.

3. Oct 11, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Uniden PC78Elite CB, 4' Firestiks, KC reverse/work lights, Mudflaps removed, Gorilla wheel locks, TRD box air intake, MBRP XP series dual exhaust, Wet Okole seat covers, 20% front tints, Pacer tailgate light bar, Uniden Bear Cat PA external speaker, 4.5" RCD Lift w/ extended ICON coilovers, door sill LED running lights, LED alarm scanner light, Scangauge II, Blendmount, Diff breather mod, Whelen hideaway 90watt strobes, Piaa Xtreme white bulbs, VIAIR onboard air, Allpro T-case sheild, TC LCA Skids, Stubbswelding HD-SKO Sliders, Weathertech floor mats, TC UCA's, Allpro SS brakelines, rear ARB locker, 4.56 Yukon gears, BlueSea fuse block, bed rail light bar, Shrockworks bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Comp winch, IPF 900's, Piaa 510's, Tekonsha brake controller, Air horn, Pop 'n lock, Alcan Spring leaf packs, JVC KD-AHD 69 head unit, 12voltguy winch controller, Safari Snorkel
    OK thanks, i'll see what happens

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB - Super White
    SOLD!
    Did you get your problem solved?

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    Rollinn

Rollinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner sport
    Icon 2.5 c/o,TC uca, bhlm mod, nav, etc etc
    x2. I have installed many hid kits and they are pretty straightforward, so check ground, then swap bulbs and/or ballasts and that will determine your problem. Good luck

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    MDBigRed

Member:
    Potomac, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport 4x4
    So i swapped the ballast and figured out it's the wiring harness. I should get a new one today and hopefully it'll work. Thanks for everyone's input

To Top